- Table View
- List View
Osprey's examination of the Scottish Jacobite army during the Jacobite Rising of 1745. The heart of this book is the story of Bonnie Prince Charlie's army at Culloden. It strips away the myth and exposes the realities of life in the Jacobite rebel army. It begins with the raising of the army which included volunteers, 'pressed men' and mercenaries, as well as French forces that were sent over to assist as part of the 'Auld Alliance'. Unit organization, weapons, and tactics are discussed and the book also details the vicious battles that were fought in this doomed attempt to secure the British crown. After the Jacobite rebellion was finally crushed at Culloden, many of the survivors were surprisingly drafted into the British Army alongside their former enemies and saw service in North America during the French-Indian War (1754-1763). The wonderful color plates and rare images illustrate the variety of uniforms that were worn ranging from tartan to regular army dress. This is an essential introductory guide to the Jacobite armies as well as a definitive reference to the uniforms and weaponry of the period.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.