- Table View
- List View
You're good at your job and, after years of service and dedication, you finally get that coveted promotion. Congratulations! But there's a catch: instead of spending the majority of your time doing the job you love--a job you're still expected to get done, by the way--you're now also a manager. You weren't trained for this. Nobody prepared you for having to deal with emotions and conflicts and personalities, all while trying to meet ever-greater goals and more pressing deadlines. Not exactly what you had in mind, is it? Let's face it. It's stressful at the top. But don't worry; it doesn't have to be. Devora Zack knows exactly what you're up against, and she has the tools to help you not only succeed but possibly even enjoy that new management position. As a prominent consultant and coach who speaks to thousands of people annually, Zack is here to tell you that the only way to maximize your success is by being yourself. Drawing on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, Zack explains that, personality-wise and management-wise, we're either thinkers or feelers. Basically, thinkers lead with their heads and feelers lead with their hearts. Almost nobody's 100 percent thinker or feeler, yet most of us lean one way or the other (and Zack's handy assessment lets you figure out what kind of leader you are). Working with--rather than fighting against--your strengths is key to understanding not only how you make decisions and manage but also how people react to your decisions and respond to you. Zack takes you through a host of potentially difficult situations, showing how this new way of seeing yourself and others makes managing less of a stumble in the dark and more of a walk in the park. Packed with verve, spunk, wit, and enlightening examples, helpful exercises, and lifesaving tips, Managing for People Who Hate Managing is the new go-to guide for all those managers looking to love their jobs again.
Your Mind Can't Be Two Places at Once Too many of us have become addicted to the popular, enticing, dangerously misleading drug of multitasking. Devora Zack was once hooked herself. But she beat it and became more efficient, and you can too. Zack marshals convincing neuroscientific evidence to prove that you really can't do more by trying to tackle several things at once--it's an illusion. There is a better way to deal with all the information and interruptions that bombard us today. Singletasking explains exactly how to clear and calm your mind, arrange your schedule and environment, and gently yet firmly manage the expectations of people around you so that you can accomplish a succession of tasks, one by one--and be infinitely more productive. Singletasking is the secret to success and sanity.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.