- Table View
- List View
When Dodge Mercer arrived in town, he headed out to the Lilley place to find work. On his way there, he met Nan, the oldest Lilley girl. And he fell in love. He met her family, got friendly with them, and became the target of a man who wants Nan to marry him, even though she doesn't want that.
LAST CHANCE GUN One of Zane Grey's most memorable characters, Buck Duane, was forced to ride the outlaw trail as a young man. Pardoned through the efforts of Captain Jim MacNelly of the Texas Rangers, Buck vowed to dedicate his life to the man who set him straight and soon proved himself to be the Rangers' deadliest gun. The Lone Star State was crawling with bandits who were terrorizing every ranch in cattle country, and Buck was the only man alive who could put out the fire and quench the rising flames of an all-out range war.
When it comes to Western adventure, no author comes close to the three giants included in this landmark volume. These are the men who created the Western, shaped it, and perfected it. Now, for the first time in paperback, The Golden West collects three of their finest short novels. Max Brand's powerful Jargan is carefully restored to its original, full-length glory, with material never before seen. Tappan's Burro has long been considered one of Zane Grey's masterpieces, but only a shorter, edited version has been in print. The version included here was taken directly from Grey's actual manuscript and now appears in paperback for the first time. Louis L'Amour's The Trail to Crazy Man was rewritten years later as Crossfire Trail, which became the basis for the movie of the same name. Presented here is L'Amour's original version. These authors are the stuff of Western legend, and at last you can read their finest work as they themselves intended.
The premier chronicler of the American West, legendary storyteller Zane Grey has captivated millions of readers with his timeless adventures of life, death, gunfire, and justice. This is the Old West in all its glory and grandeur. Forged in blood. Enflamed by passion. Emblazoned with bullets. . . In the law of the gun, a man must shoot his way to innocence. At least that's how Captain McKelly of the Texas Rangers puts it to Buck Duane. On the run for killing a man to save his own skin, Duane must now infiltrate the deadly Chelsedine gang. These ruthless rustlers are running amok in Texas and it's going to take a matchless gunfighter to stop their rampage. With the legendary Rangers providing firepower, Duane has more than a fighting chance. Or so he thinks. When he uncovers a secret that could destroy them all, the bullet storm is biblical--and a legend rises out of the dust. "In a changing world it is comforting. . . and entertaining to spend a little while in the company of Zane Grey. " --New York Times"Zane Grey epitomized the mythical West that should have been. " --True West"Grey was a champion of the American wilderness and the men and women who tamed the Old West. "--Booklist
Rancher Bill Bellounds had brought up Columbine as if she was his own daughter. She had agreed to marry his son, a drunkard and thief, but then a strange little man came to work on the ranch.
They Came From A Settled Land--To A Place Of Beauty, Blood And War. . . Jim and Joe Downs came from Virginia--one led by the call of God, the other by a thirst for adventure. In the Ohio River Valley, the handsome young preacher and his rogue and charming brother entered a storm of Indian wars, white men's treachery, and into the wilderness of a legendary fighter whose enemies knew him as the "Deathwind. . . " In this classic novel by America's greatest Western writer, the true life and times of Lewis Wetzel--a character every bit as towering as Daniel Boone--is set against the extraordinary saga of Jim and Joe Downs. As the two brothers make very different choices, as one woman loves them both, they will both learn, win and lose in the presence of a man larger than life--fighting a war all his own. . . Over 40 Million Copies Of Zane Grey's Novels Sold
He Chose The World's Deadliest Land: To Die, Or To Live Again. . . Adam Laret, big, young and headstrong, ran from Ehrenberg to the banks of the Rio Colorado. He was blindly fleeing his scheming, gambling brother and the woman Guerd stole from him. But Adam's escape wasn't complete until Guerd, in the company of a sheriff, hunted him down. Then Adam committed the ultimate crime. With the mark of Cain upon him--he traveled into the desert to atone for his sins. In a vast, harsh world of heat and beauty, of stealthy creatures and gnawing starvation, Adam faced death and madmen, Indians and strangers who lived where life was impossible. But nothing he did, no act of courage, righteousness, or violence, washed Adam clean. Until he met a woman and made a choice: to fight his way back to civilization, the most dangerous place of all. . . Over 40 Million Copies of Zane Grey's Novels Sold
A Harvard man heads west to meet his destiny when he meets up with a group of westerners who have a dangerous, thrilling dream to carry a thousand mile long iron wire for a company- Western Union.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.