This book introduces the inter-disciplinary study of childhood and youth, and the multi-agency practice of professionals who serve the needs of children, young people, and their families. Exploring key theories and central ideas, research methodology, policy, and practice, the book takes a holistic, contextual approach that values difference and diversity â " for example, investigating concepts such as identity, representation, creativity and discourse, and issues such as ethnicity, gender, and the 'childhood in crisis' thesis. Further, it challenges opinion by exploring complex and controversial modern-day issues, and by engaging with a range of perspectives to highlight debates.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.