El lobo de mar, un clásico de la literatura norteamericana y una de las mejores novelas de aventuras de todos los tiempos, dramatiza el fortuito encuentro entre dos personajes que representan visiones opuestas de la condición humana. Humphrey van Weyden es un joven intelectual, refinado e idealista que, tras naufragar a bordo de un ferry en aguas del pacífico, es rescatado por un barco dedicado a la caza de focas y capitaneado por Wolf Larsen, el prototipo de "lobo de mar", cruel, despiadado y sin escrúpulos. Sometido a su tiránica autoridad, el joven descubrirá la dureza y la impiedad de un mundo primitivo que sin embargo le ayudará a consumar su aprendizaje moral.
From the first the voyage was going wrong. Routed out of my hotel on a bitter March morning, I had crossed Baltimore and reached the pier-end precisely on time. At nine o'clock the tug was to have taken me down the bay and put me on board the Elsinore, and with growing irritation I sat frozen inside my taxicab and waited. On the seat, outside, the driver and Wada sat hunched in a temperature perhaps half a degree colder than mine. And there was no tug.
First published in Atlantic Monthly, January, 1900 Collected in The Son of The Wolf, Houghton Mifflin, 1900 Qvadis Express Reader Edition, 1999
First published in Overland Monthly, Vol. 34, July, 1899 Collected in The Son of The Wolf, Houghton Mifflin, 1900.
"The danger lay in the heavy fog which blanketed the bay, and of which, as a landsman, I had little apprehension. " This is the first line that the listener hears in this tale of a man uprooted and thrust into the unfamiliar and dangerous world of the sealing sailor. Humphrey Van Weyden, a San Francisco sophisticate and an intellectual finds himself the captive voyager aboard the Ghost, captained by the brutal and barbaric Wolf Larsen. The desperate character of Van Weyden's voyage is defined by the fa...
The Star Rover is the story of San Quentin death-row inmate Darrell Standing, who escapes the horror of prison life--and long stretches in a straitjacket--by withdrawing into vivid dreams of past lives, including incarnations as a French nobleman and an Englishman in medieval Korea. Based on the life and imprisonment of Jack London's friend Ed Morrell, this is one of the author's most complex and original works. As Lorenzo Carcaterra argues in his Introduction, The Star Rover is "written with energy and force, brilliantly marching between the netherworlds of brutality and beauty."This Modern Library Paperback Classic is set from the text of the first American edition, published in 1915.From the Trade Paperback edition.
"They Don't Know What They've Got!" John Griffith London exclaimed about the American people when he landed in the Territory of Hawaii in 1907, on the first leg of a yachting trip through the Pacific. His observations on the future fiftieth state, experienced during a five-month tour in that year, as well as during longer stays in 1915 and 1916, were passed on to his worldwide reading public in many articles and several books.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.