- Table View
- List View
Great writers inspire readers to head out in search of foreign sunsets, but in this instance, they inspired travel writer Michael Shapiro to head out for the great writers themselves. A Sense of Place is one writer's journey to visit all the heroes who have motivated him - to pack a pen and toothbrush, to find out where they live, why they chose the place, and how it influences their writing.
In the first of an in-depth narrative series that will illuminate key moments in journalism’s rough evolution in the age of the Internet, Michael Shapiro tells the little known inside story of the San Jose Mercury News, which brilliantly seized the moment yet didn’t know what to do with it, and then, sadly, released its grasp. Shapiro sheds light on the rise and fall of the Mercury's owner, Knight-Ridder, which rose to dizzying business and journalistic heights, only to crash, a victim of the great disruption. Was it inevitable, or were key mistakes made and opportunities missed?
This book provides the foundations for a rigorous theory of functional analysis with bicomplex scalars. It begins with a detailed study of bicomplex and hyperbolic numbers and then defines the notion of bicomplex modules. After introducing a number of norms and inner products on such modules (some of which appear in this volume for the first time), the authors develop the theory of linear functionals and linear operators on bicomplex modules. All of this may serve for many different developments, just like the usual functional analysis with complex scalars and in this book it serves as the foundational material for the construction and study of a bicomplex version of the well known Schur analysis.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.