- Table View
- List View
This textbook is an introduction to environmental science. It is an interdisciplinary science that uses concepts and information from natural sciences such as ecology, biology, chemistry, and geology and social sciences such as economics, politics, and ethics to (1) help us understand how the earth works, (2) learn how we are affecting the earth's life-support systems (environment) for us and other forms of life, and (3) propose and evaluate solutions to the environmental problems we face.
In this current, thought-provoking environmental science textbook, G. Tyler Miller and new coauthor Scott Spoolman bring the concept of sustainability to the forefront. Students are engaged and motivated with vivid case studies and hands-on quantitative exercises. As the authors showcase four scientific principles of sustainability, they immerse students in the many practical steps they, as individuals, can take toward more sustainable lifestyles. The book's new concept-centered format transforms complex environmental topics and issues into key concepts that students will understand and remember.
This edition places increased emphasis on science-based approaches that interact with political solutions to address environmental problems, offers greater integration of economic and environmental topics, and stresses the shift from large centralized sources of power to a dispersed array of smaller micropower plants. There are two new chapters on community ecology and geology, and expanded coverage of aquatic biodiversity. Tyler is president of Earth Education and Research, and professor of human ecology at St. Andrews Presbyterian College.
Learn how to make a difference in our environment! Using sustainability as the central theme, this current and thought-provoking book provides you with basic scientific tools for understanding and thinking critically about the environment and the environmental problems we face. Updated with new information, art, and "Good News" examples, this engaging book offers vivid case studies and hands-on quantitative exercises. The concept-centered approach transforms complex environmental topics and issues into key
The authors of this textbook focus on scientific principles of sustainability and immerse you in the many practical steps that you, as an individual, can take toward a more sustainable lifestyle. Sustainability focuses on the natural resources and natural services that support all life and economies. The book's concept-centered format transforms complex environmental topics and issues into key concepts that help you understand and remember.
ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE will inspire and equip you to make a difference for the world. Featuring sustainability as their central theme, authors Tyler Miller and Scott Spoolman emphasize natural capital, natural capital degradation, solutions, trade-offs, and the importance of individuals. As a result, you will learn how nature works, how you interact with it, and how people have sustained'and can continue to sustain'our relationship with the earth by applying nature's lessons to economies and individual lifestyles. Engaging features like "Core Case Studies," "How Would You Vote" questions, and "Thinking About" exercises demonstrate the relevance of issues and encourage critical thinking. This edition has been updated with new learning tools, the latest content, and an enhanced art program.
This undergraduate textbook provides the scientific base for understanding environmental concerns, describes the primary natural resource and environmental quality problems being faced, and evaluates solutions to those problems. The fourteenth edition groups the biology chapters together, transfers the guest essays to the web site, and adds several new topics, such as genetic engineering, bioterrorism, and fuel cell cars. The CD-ROM contains colorful animations and quizzes. Annotation ©2004 Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
Miller's LIVING IN THE ENVIRONMENT, 13th Edition is a science-based book designed for introductory courses in environmental science. Tyler Miller is the most successful author in environmental science instruction because of his attention to currency, trend-setting presentation, outstanding student and instructor supplements, and his ability to retain and refine the pedagological hallmarks on which instructors have come to depend. In this edition Miller has added an on-line Web- based resource, entitled the Resource Integration Guide, which is updated quarterly with CNN. Today video clips, animations, and articles from InfoTrac. College Edition. Instructors can seamlessly incorporate current news articles and research findings to support classroom instruction. And, for the first time ever, students will receive a complementary CD-ROM entitled Interactive Concepts in Environmental Science. This groundbreaking addition integrates nearly 100 engaging animations and interactions with chapter summaries, flashcards, and Web-based quizzes. Organized by chapter, students will find links to relevant resources, narrated animations, interactive figures and prompts to review material and test themselves. The content in the Thirteenth Edition of LIVING IN THE ENVIRONMENT is everything you have come to expect and more.
This book provides you with basic scientific tools for understanding and thinking critically about the environment and the environmental problems we face.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.