- Table View
- List View
In celebration of our 20th anniversary, Poisoned Pen Press has commissioned original short stories from thirty-five of its authors, past and present. Some names will be immediately recognizable to mystery aficionados-Kerry Greenwood with her Phryne Fisher mysteries, now also a popular television program, or Laurie R. King who has charmed Sherlockians worldwide with her beloved Mary Russell series. Some have gone on to big deals with the big leagues-Carolyn Wall, whose debut novel, Sweeping Up Glass, was purchased by Penguin Random House, or James Sallis, whose novella, Drive, was critically acclaimed and made into major motion picture starring Ryan Gosling. Several have been translated into other languages with foreign publishers. Some authors have been on hiatus, and are writing something new for the first time in years. Most have remained comfortably ensconced with us here at the Press, enjoying a modicum of fame and a steadily growing base of loyal readers who eagerly anticipate their next-in-series. This anthology celebrates our authors, their talent, and their diversity. Some have chosen to feature characters well-established within their own series-protagonists, supporting cast, and even one villain-turned-hero. Others have gone in totally different directions, inventing new characters and going dark or cozy for the first time, with chilling and delightful results. Yet as different as these authors and their stories are, they all share a common passion for finely crafted tales of crime and murder. From Greece to Italy, India to Australia, Great Britain to Canada; from the East Coast to the Pacific Northwest and New Mexico to the Savannah low country, they are a community Bound by Mystery, and we are proud to present their short fiction to you for the first time ever.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.