- Table View
- List View
"Extends a warm invitation to share (Frankie Valdez's birthday and) to sample his culture's traditional festivities".--Booklist.
For sled dog-racing fans worldwide, the most important calendar day is the first Saturday in March, when teams convene for the start of mushing's Superbowl--the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race®. Every year, as it has since 1973, this ultimate challenge begins in the state's most populated city, Anchorage, and then dives into the Alaska Bush on a historic trail that wends over mountain ranges, along frozen rivers, and onto the Bering Sea ice. The finish line lies 1,000-plus miles away in Nome, beneath a giant, burled archway. There, dogs and their drivers are greeted by masses of locals, vacationing fans, officials, media, and other mushers who intimately know what that team has just endured. To simply finish is the goal for entrants; to win is the accomplishment of a rare few. Indeed, more people have climbed Mount Everest than have finished the Iditarod®.
Right from its start in 1847, this little town along the Columbia River was built with calloused hands. In these pages, one will see the loggers, shipbuilders, quarrymen, and mill workers. Their wives, mothers, and children are here, too, softening the edges and nourishing a community in the woods. Those early settlers built St. Helens to last, and through decades of booms and busts, tragedies and triumphs, the people's love for this place, so rich in beauty and possibility, shows in more than 200 images. It is a record of endurance, yes, but also of hope.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.