- Table View
- List View
Adapted from the classic by Emily Hutchinson. This 88-page book includes described drawings and an 8-page study guide at the end.
Introduces young people to the must have skills and concepts they'll need to enter the adult world. Learn to shop, cook, take care of your clothes and home in a practical, financially sound way.
From the Book Jacket: AN EXCERPT FROM FRANKENSTEIN : Just then, I saw the figure of a man climbing toward me. He was moving with superhuman speed. As he came closer, I saw that it was the wretch whom I had created. I trembled with rage and horror. "Devil!" I exclaimed. "Do you dare approach me? Do you not fear my vengeance? Begone! Or rather, stay, so I may trample you to dust!" "I expected such a welcome," said the creature. "Yet you are my creator. It is your fault that I am so wretched. You are bound to me until death. You want to kill me? How dare you sport thus with life? Do your duty to me and I will do mine to you." "Hated monster! Come closer so I may put out the spark of life I so foolishly gave you!" "I have no wish to harm you. I am your creature, and you owe me something. Oh, Frankenstein, everywhere I see happiness that I alone cannot have. I was good, but misery made me a fiend. Make me happy, and I shall again be good." ENJOY THESE OTHER ADAPTED CLASSICS FROM GLOBE FEARON: Gulliver's Travels Ethan Frome The Canterbury Tales Heart of Darkness Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass The Call of the Wild . ï¿½ The Red Badge of Courage A Christmas Carol Les Miserables Tom Sawyer Jane Eyre A Tale of Two Cities The Odyssey Treasure Island Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl An Edgar Allan Poe Reader Great Expectations The Scarlet Letter
Each novel, complete in just 80-pages, has been painstakingly adapted to retain the integrity of the original work. Each provides the reader a sense of the author's style and an understanding of the novel's theme.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.