- Table View
- List View
Included in this book: Menaces in May, Afternoon of a Playwright, The Notebooks of James Thurber, The Future, If Any, of Comedy or, Where Do We Non-Go from Here? Carpe Noctem, If You Can, My Friend McNulty, and many more.
Here a tidbit from this hilarious spoof: I wrote Thurber the other day and asked him please to bring sex up to date for the book. He replied as follows: "I last had word about Dr. Karl Zaner in 1941 when a correspondent wrote me that she had seen him about town, walking a little unsteadily and given to muttering inaudibly. There is some reason to believe that Dr. Zaner in his late years has become depressed by a lack of the schematic and the presence of too many variables in the study of sex. An ophthalmologist who studies two thousand similar eye ailments can come up with dependable conclusions, but the scientist of sex, completing his investigation of two thousand persons in love, is just about where he was when he started out. Only two facts, I suppose, can be stated in this fluctuant field, without fear of successful contradiction: young women are still faced with the problem of how to tell popularity from promiscuity, and young men are still up against the equally difficult problem of how to have fun without getting married while they are still making only $37.50 a week. The larger aspects of sex become more and more complex at the hands of the psychiatrists. As I understand it, and I am probably wrong, bisexuality is on the increase and the psychiatrists are inclined to view this trend as a development, or even flowering, of the individual. Historians, on the other hand, appear to regard it as an evidence of the decline of the species. ..."
James Thurber, whimsical fantasist and deadpan chronicler of everyday absurdities, brought American humor into the 20th century. His comic persona, a modern citydweller whose zaniest flights of free association are tinged with anxiety, remains hilarious, subtly disturbing, and instantly recognizable. Here, in over 1000 pages, editor Garrison Keillor presents the best and most extensive collection ever assembled. Over 100 pieces include "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" and "The Catbird Seat," the brilliantly satirical Fables for Our Time, the classic My Life and Hard Times, and the best of The Owl in the Attic, Let Your Mind Alone!, My World--And Welcome to It, and the other famous books. Plus 500 wonderful drawings, including The Seal in the Bedroom and celebrated sequences like "The Masculine Approach" and "The War Between Men and Women." Rounding out the volume is a selection from The Years with Ross, a memoir of the New Yorker publisher, and a number of wonderful early pieces never collected by Thurber.
Though many try, only the court jester is able to fulfill Princess Lenore's wish for the moon.
In this autobiography Mr. Thurber's daring typewriter and unbridled drawing pencil have combined to glean his teeming life. In chapter one he tells what happened the night the bed fell on his father.
In a cold gloomy castle where all the clocks have stopped, a wicked Duke amuses himself by finding new and fiendish ways of rejecting the suitors for his niece, the good and beautiful Princess Saralinda. Includes descriptions of illustrations. [This text is listed as an example that meets Common Core Standards in English language arts in grades 2-3 at http://www.corestandards.org.]
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.