- Table View
- List View
Working as a correspondent for 20/20 and Good Morning America, John Stossel confronted dozens of scam artists: from hacks who worked out of their basements to some of America's most powerful executives and leading politicians. His efforts shut down countless crooks -- both famous and obscure. Then he realized what the real problem was. In Give Me a Break, Stossel takes on the regulators, lawyers, and politicians who thrive on our hysteria about risk and deceive the public in the name of safety. Drawing on his vast professional experience (as well as some personal ones), Stossel presents an engaging, witty, and thought-provoking argument about the beneficial powers of the free market and free speech.
Stossel explains that much of what we hear, and what the media say, are myths. And he backs it up.
The government is not a neutral arbiter of truth. It never has been. It never will be. Doubt everything. John Stossel does. A self-described skeptic, he has dismantled society's sacred cows with unerring common sense. Now he debunks the most sacred of them all: our intuition and belief that government can solve our problems. In No, They Can't, the New York Times bestselling author and Fox News commentator insists that we discard that idea of the "perfect" government--left or right--and retrain our brain to look only at the facts, to rethink our lives as independent individuals--and fast. With characteristic tenacity, John Stossel outlines and exposes the fallacies and facts of the most pressing issues of today's social and political climate--and shows how our intuitions about them are, frankly, wrong: * the unreliable marriage between big business, the media, and unions * the myth of tax breaks and the ignorance of their advocates * why "central planners" never create more jobs and how government never really will * why free trade works--without government Interference * federal regulations and the trouble they create for consumers * the harm caused to the disabled by government protection of the disabled * the problems (social and economic) generated by minimum-wage laws * the destructive daydreams of "health insurance for everyone" * bad food vs. good food and the government's intrusive, unwelcome nanny sensibilities * the dumbing down of public education and teachers' unions * how gun control actually increases crime . . . and more myth-busting realities of why the American people must wrest our lives back from a government stranglehold. Stossel also reveals how his unyielding desire to educate the public with the truth caused an irreparable rift with ABC (nobody wanted to hear the point-by- point facts of ObamaCare), and why he left his long-running stint for a new, uncensored forum with Fox. He lays out his ideas for education innovation as well and, finally, makes it perfectly clear why government action is the least effective and desirable fantasy to hang on to. As Stossel says, "It's not about electing the right people. It's about narrowing responsibilities." No, They Can't is an irrefutable first step toward that goal.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.