- Table View
- List View
Getting into college is one of life's most daunting challenges. Why not let the experts help? The experts in this case include dozens of college consultants, admissions officers, parents, and, best of all, hundreds of students who have experienced the process firsthand. Individual chapters cover such topics as getting started, preparing for the SAT, deciding which colleges to apply to, perfecting applications and essays, putting one's best foot forward in an interview, and what to do for extracurricular activities and summer vacations. Additional chapters explain what to look for when visiting schools, how to get financial aid, getting support from counselors and parents, dealing with rejection and acceptance, and how to pick the right school. This expanded edition includes special "Counselor's Corner" features, material on "How to Survive Getting Your Kid into College," Harvard Law grad Jay Brody's discussion of how to write the best application essay, and much more.
Hundreds of students share their hard-won wisdom, thoughts, strategies, struggles, and even failures. Filled with tips, tricks, humor, and horror stories, as well as practical advice on applications, interviews, and financial aid, the book is a lifeline for high school juniors and seniors.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.