- Table View
- List View
Gabrielle Ivory was once a society beauty of such exquisite arrogance that she stared down a queen. But now, nearing 90, she's largely disregarded by the younger members of the Ivory clan, who like to imagine Granny as a bedridden relic of a dead era. That's a mistake, and it's not their only one. A series of malicious attacks is threatening the family business - one of the most prestigious art galleries in the world. Robert Ivory and his high-strung wife, frantic to preserve the status-quo, want to chalk it all up to practical jokes gone wrong. But Gabrielle is not inclined to collude in this delusion. It's a ridiculous modern affectation, she sniffs, to pretend to disregard money.
3 mysteries featuring Albert Campion: Death of a Ghost, Flowers for the Judge, and Dancers in Mourning
John Sebastian Lafcadio, R.A., 'probably the greatest painter since Rembrandt' (according to himself), is dead. But his influence is not. He wanted lasting fame and he left instructions to his wife, Belle, for one painting to be exhibited every year after his death. Eight years later, in Little Venice, a select group of friends and family gather to view the eighth painting. They are treated instead to a murder. The lights go down, and a young man is stabbed to death. Albert Campion is one of the guests, and in his deceptively calm way he gets to work on the baffling case, with its long - suspiciously long - line-up of possible killers. Soon Campion finds himself having to face his dearest enemy.
Some objects just cry out to be stolen, and an obliging ring of international thieves stands ready to heed the cry. Their current target is the Gyrth Chalice, a priceless goblet that the Gyrth family has for centuries held in trust for the British Crown. Kept in a windowless chapel, and protected by a fearsome curse, the Chalice should be impervious to thievery. But this is 1930, and the crooks have all the advantages of the modern world. Chief among these is the craving for publicity, to which at least one member of the Gyrth clan has succumbed. Her careless chatter about the Chalice seems to have called up all manner of misfortunes - of which larceny is just the beginning -- and the vague, bespectacled Albert Campion doesn't look like he'll be much help against them. But looks can be deceptive. Wonderfully plotted . . . a marvelous mixture of witchcraft, sacred relics, and ancient oaths. Allingham was a rare and precious talent - Washington Post
Mr. Campion, the master sleuth, is menaced by a baker's dozen of evil-doers in 13 beguiling short mysteries.
Matthew Matthews, archaeologist, died of a heart attack. Francis Makepeace, geologist, vanishes. Many problems - not least for Mr Campion. For Makepeace is a maverick with a secret. The results are murder, kidnapping and the doghouse for his loyal friends.
A master criminal is attempting to kill Judge Lobbett, who holds the secret of his identity. Albert Campion takes on the job of guarding the judge and outwitting the elusive Simister.
Two swift-moving mysteries: The Patient at Peacocks Hall,and Safer Than Love.
An Albert campion mystery; false identity, blackmail, buried treasure, good versus evil.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.