- Table View
- List View
Eleven-year-old Joy Wells is a literary horror fan and proud resident of Spooking, the run-down, eerie town at the top of the hill. At the bottom of the hill is Darlington, a plastic suburban 'paradise' where Joy and her brother go to school. When the mayor of Darlington announces that a water park is soon to be constructed over the Spooking Bog, Joy knows she must act quickly if she's going to save her ancient, beloved town from becoming just as cute and icky as Darlington. But the Spooking Bog holds many mysteries. . . Could the legend of the Bog Fiend be true? Who is the bizarre woman that lives there in the house on stilts? And what will become of it all when the bulldozers come rolling up the hill from Darlington? Joy is on a mission to find out, but someone wants to stop her, and they'll do whatever it takes. . .
Joy Wells is fascinated by the strange noises coming from the abandoned Spooking Asylum. She knows all about the famous legends that surround the place, and is certain that she is hearing the guns of long-dead soldiers. But what if something more contemporary is going on? Could it be that the old asylum is not abandoned after all? When Joy's pet frog, Fizz, gets away, Joy travels through the town's old sewers looking for him, only to emerge above ground inside the locked gates of the asylum. And there she uncovers a trail of greed and madness guaranteed to thrill her horror-loving heart! Why don't you join her for a little not-so-harmless mayhem - if you dare!
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.