Showing 1 through 1 of 1 results
Robert F. Dalzell Jr.
This timely book holds up for scrutiny a great paradox at the core of the American Dream: a passionate belief in the principle of democracy combined with an equally passionate celebration of the creation of wealth. Americans treasure an open, equal society, yet we also admire those fortunate few who amass riches on a scale that undermines social equality. In today's era of "vulture capitalist" hedge fund managers, internet fortunes, and a growing concern over inequality in American life, should we cling to both parts of the paradox? Can we? To understand the problems that vast individual fortunes pose for democratic values, Robert Dalzell turns to American history. He presents an intriguing cast of wealthy individuals from colonial times to the present, including George Washington, one of the richest Americans of his day, the "robber baron" John D. Rockefeller, and Oprah Winfrey, for whom extreme wealth is inextricably tied to social concerns. Dalzell uncovers the sources of contradictory attitudes toward the rich, how the very rich have sought to be perceived as "good rich," and the facts behind the widespread notion that wealth and generosity go hand in hand. In a thoughtful and balanced conclusion, the author explores the cost of our longstanding attitudes toward the rich. Among the case studies in America's Good Rich:Puritan merchant Robert KeayneGeorge WashingtonManufacturers Amos & Abbot LawrenceOil magnate John D. RockefellerBill GatesWarren BuffetSteve JobsOprah Winfrey
Showing 1 through 1 of 1 results
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading
tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.
See and hear words read aloud
Listen to books with audio only
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice
installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only
mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading
tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without
downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation
required). Other browsers can be used with limited features.
Read in Braille
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona
pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed.
Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using
the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter,
section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.