- Table View
- List View
The timeless tale of a horse named BeautyP> With his fine black coat, his one white foot, and the distinctive white star on his forehead, Black Beauty is a magnificent creature, the pride of Squire Gordon's country estate. But when the squire has to move abroad, Beauty's fortunes change, and at the hands of other masters he suffers the cruelty and disregard that were sadly all too common for horses in Victorian England. In his wise, candid, and endearing voice, Black Beauty offers insight not just into his own experiences, but into the lives of Ginger, Merrylegs, Peggy, Captain, and all the special horses he meets along the way.Crippled by a childhood injury, for most of her life Anna Sewell relied on horses to get around. She wrote Black Beauty to encourage readers to view these animals with the same respect and sympathy she did, and the enduring popularity of the novel and its profound influence on the animal rights movement are testaments to her remarkable success.This ebook has been professionally proofread to ensure accuracy and readability on all devices.
A brave and handsome horse meets with many adventures and all types of people. But no matter what he encounters, nothing can break Black Beauty's spirit. Black Beauty is the prettiest young horse in the meadows, and spends many happy days under the apple trees with his friends Ginger and Merrylegs. But this easy life comes to an end when Beauty is sold and goes from farm to inn to cabhorse in London, enduring rough treatment from foolish and careless masters. Beauty remains faithful, hardworking and full of spirit despite his trials, and through him we learn that all horses and humans alike deserve to be treated with kindness.
Anna Sewell's 1877 classic, Black Beauty, is considered to be one of the foremost works in animal welfare literature and a leading work in the children's pony book genre. Narrated by the horse himself, the book follows his trials and tribulations as he passes from one owner to another and experiences the full spectrum of human treatment-from the knowledgeable and kind to the ignorant and cruel. Beloved by children and animal lovers alike, Black Beauty is now available as part of the Word Cloud Classic series, making it a chic and affordable addition to any library.Lexile score: 1020L
Probably the most popular horse story of all time, Black Beauty tells the story of one horse's long and varied life. On the one hand, a fully engaging novel and on the other hand, a strong statement against animal maltreatment. Anna Sewell's classic novel has enthralled readers since it was first published in 1877.
One of the best loved animal stories ever written, the dramatic and heartwarming Black Beauty is told by the magnificent horse himself, from his idyllic days on a country squire's estate to his harsh fate as a London cab horse. No one can ever forget the gallant Black Beauty, a horse with a white star on his forehead and a heart of unyielding courage.
An autobiographical memoir told by the titular horse named Black Beauty. Beginning with his carefree days as a colt on an English farm with his mother, to his difficult life pulling cabs in London, to his happy retirement in the country. Along the way, he meets with many hardships and recounts many tales of cruelty and kindness. Each short chapter recounts an incident in Black Beauty's life containing a lesson or moral typically related to the kindness, sympathy, and understanding treatment of horses, with Sewell's detailed observations and extensive descriptions of horse behaviour.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.