- Table View
- List View
A micro-preemie fights for survival in this extraordinary and gorgeously told memoir by her parents, both award-winning journalists.Juniper French was born four months early, at 23 weeks gestation. She weighed 1 pound, 4 ounces, and her twiggy body was the length of a Barbie doll. Her head was smaller than a tennis ball, her skin was nearly translucent, and through her chest you could see her flickering heart. Babies like Juniper, born at the edge of viability, trigger the question: Which is the greater act of love--to save her, or to let her go?Kelley and Thomas French chose to fight for Juniper's life, and this is their incredible tale. In one exquisite memoir, the authors explore the border between what is possible and what is right. They marvel at the science that conceived and sustained their daughter and the love that made the difference. They probe the bond between a mother and a baby, between a husband and a wife. They trace the journey of their family from its fragile beginning to the miraculous survival of their now thriving daughter.
The screams rent the night air. It was May 22, 1984, and in the small town of Gulfport, Florida, Karen Gregory was being murdered. Even after her assailant raped and stabbed her inside the house, Karen managed to get to her front porch to let out one last, desperate cry for help. More than a dozen people in the quiet suburban neighborhood heard her scream--no one came. No one called the police.
"This story, told by a master teller of such things, does more than take you inside the cages, fences, and walls of a zoo. It takes you inside the human heart, and an elephant's, and a primate's, and on and on. Tom French did in this book what he always does. He took real life and wrote it down for us, with eloquence and feeling and aching detail."-Rick Bragg, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and bestselling author"An insightful and detailed look at the complex life of a zoo and its denizens, both animal and human."-Yann Martel, author of Life of Pi and Beatrice and VirgilWelcome to the savage and surprising world of Zoo Story, an unprecedented account of the secret life of a zoo and its inhabitants. Based on six years of research, the book follows a handful of unforgettable characters at Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo: an alpha chimp with a weakness for blondes, a ferocious tiger who revels in Obsession perfume, and a brilliant but tyrannical CEO known as El Diablo Blanco. The sweeping narrative takes the reader from the African savannah to the forests of Panama and deep into the inner workings of a place some describe as a sanctuary and others condemn as a prison. Zoo Story shows us how these remarkable individuals live, how some die, and what their experiences reveal about the human desire to both exalt and control nature.
"Animals Make Us Human" meets "An Inconvenient Truth" as a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist goes behind the scenes at one of the country's most popular--and most controversial--destinations: a zoo. This meticulously reported and smartly written book will make you think in new ways about animals, human beings, and our respective places in the world. But far from being an "issues" book, "Zoo Story" describes a time of profound drama at Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa, the site of shocking and tragic events while author Tom French was there. This an unforgettable read, and every word is true.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.