Introductory Chemistry: A Foundation
- Chemical reactions are covered early, to capture student interest, leaving more abstract material for later chapters. The authors explain chemical concepts by starting with the basics, using symbols or diagrams, and concluding by encouraging students to test their own comprehension of the solution. This step-by-step approach helps students develop critical problem-solving skills. Also, the accessible explanations and visualizations throughout the text motivate students and engage them in the material by helping them to connect abstract chemical principles to real-life experiences. The pedagogy includes chapter-opening discussions that introduce students to relevant applications andChemistry in Focusboxes that describe everyday applications of chemistry such as artificial sweeteners, foaming chewing gum, and fake fats. Current applications appear throughout the text with easy-to-understand explanations and analogies. New! Co-author Donald DeCoste brings experience as an author and as an instructor at University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign to this new edition. New! HM Assess within Eduspace, Houghton Mifflin's Online Learning Tool, provides a diagnostic assessment tool to test students' understanding of core concepts and track student progress. New! A Multimedia eBook within Eduspace offers a one-stop resource for students to link from textbook content to study resources, including video lessons from Thinkwell, tutorials, flashcards, and ACE quizzes. New!Chapter 10, Energy, combines all the content on energy from Chapter 3 in the Fifth Edition with material on enthalpy, Hess's Law, the difference between the quality and quantity of energy, energy resources in the world, and entropy. Exercises and models such as worked-out examples, self-check exercises, and skill development boxes support the step-by-step problem-solving method. End-of-chapter material covers key terms, a summary of important facts, questions and problems arranged in matched pairs and keyed to chapter sections, additional problems that incorporate material from multiple sections, in-class discussion questions, and "Cumulative Reviews" that tests concepts from preceding chapters. The text builds and refreshes fundamental math skills such as scientific notation, rounding, and rearranging equations. In addition, Math Tips indicated by icons throughout, help students as they perform calculations. Math Review Tutorials on the Online Study Center provide practice for critical math skills. Basic Chemistry,6/e, in paperback, includes chapters 1-16 and provides basic coverage of chemical concepts and applications through acids and bases Introductory Chemistry,6/e, available in hardcover or paperback, includes chapters 1-18 and expands coverage with the addition of equilibrium, oxidation-reduction reactions, electrochemistry, radioactivity, and nuclear energy.
- Book Quality:
- Publisher Quality
- Related ISBNs:
- 9780618305285, 9780618803330, 9780669220094, 9780395955406, 9780669328561, 9780669328639, 9780395955420, 9780618803323, 9780669399615, 9780669413946
- Houghton Mifflin Company
- Date of Addition:
- Copyrighted By:
- Cengage Learning, Inc.
- Adult content:
- Textbooks, Nonfiction, Science
- Grade Levels:
- Tenth grade, Eleventh grade, Twelfth grade
- Submitted By:
- Bookshare Staff
- Usage Restrictions:
- This is a copyrighted book.
NIMAC (National Instructional Materials Accessibility Center) books are available only to students with an IEP (individual education plan.) If you put this book on a group reading list, students without IEPs will not be able to open it.
Please see the Help Center for more details.