CK-12 Biology I - Honors
- Brief Synopsis:
- CK-12 Foundation's Biology 1- Honors FlexBook Covers the following chapters: Foundations of Life Science- scientific investigations, methods, observations, & communication.
- Long Synopsis:
- CK-12 Foundation's Biology 1- Honors FlexBook Covers the following chapters: Foundations of Life Science- scientific investigations, methods, observations, & communication. Chemical Basis of Life- matter, the significance of carbon, lipids, proteins. Cell Structure and Function- prokaryotic, eukaryotic, plant, & animal cell features; structures/ functions of DNA, RNA, protein, cell transport, homeostasis. Photosynthesis- water, carbon, and nitrogen cycle between abiotic and biotic resources. Cellular Respiration- relation to glycolysis, Krebs Cycle, electron transport chain. Cell Division and Reproduction- cell division, reproduction. Mendelian Genetics- inheritance, sex-linked traits. Molecular Genetics- DNA, RNA, protein synthesis, mutation, regulating gene expression. Human Genetics- human genome, diseases, Biotechnology- DNA technology, gene cloning. History of Life- evolution, macroevolution, extinctions, episodic speciation, response to change. Evolutionary Theory- Darwin's Theory of Evolution, common ancestry and natural selection. Evolution in Populations- genetics of populations, genetic diseases, natural selection. Classification- Taxonomy, scientific classification of organisms. Principles of Ecology- Ecology's relation with energy; ecosystems, the water, carbon, and nitrogen cycles. Biomes, Ecosystems and Communities- terrestrial/ aquatic biomes, community interactions. Populations- Analysis of populations and dynamics. Ecology and Human Actions- Balance between humans and the earth addressing natural resources, ecosystems, & biodiversity. The Human Body- systems. Nervous and Endocrine Systems- structures & functions, homeostasis. Skeletal, Muscular, and Integumentary Systems- structures, functions, & homeostasis. Circulatory and Respiratory Systems- structures and functions. Digestive and Excretory Systems- structures/ functions, food pyramid. Immune System and Disease- Body defenses against pathogens. Reproductive System and Human Development- human reproductive systems, reproductive lifecycle, STDs.
- Book Quality:
- Publisher Quality
- CK-12 Foundation
- Date of Addition:
- Copyright Date:
- Copyrighted By:
- Adult content:
- Science, Textbooks
- Submitted By:
- Bookshare Staff
Reviews of CK-12 Biology I - Honors (0 reviews)
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.