CK-12 Earth Science
- CK-12 Foundation's Earth Science FlexBook Covers the following chapters: What is Earth Science- scientific method and branches of earth science. Studying Earth's Surface- landforms, map projections and computers/satellites. Earth's Minerals- types, formation, identification , properties and uses. Rocks- rock cycle and types of rocks. Earth's Energy- renewable and nonrenewable resources. Plate Tectonics- Earth's interior, continental drift, seafloor spreading, tectonic movement, plate boundaries, and landforms. Earthquakes- causes, prediction, safety, seismic waves/tsunamis, and rock/mountain building. Volcanoes- formation, landforms and types of magma and eruptions. Weathering and Formation of Soil- mechanical/chemical weathering and soil formation, horizions & climates. Erosion and Deposition- actions of water, wind and gravity. Evidence about the Earth's Past- fossilization and relative/absolute dating. Earth's History- geological time, early history and evolution. Earth's Freshwater- water cycle and lakes, rivers, streams & groundwater. Earth's Oceans- formation, composition, waves/tides, seafloor and ocean life. Earth's Atmosphere- properties, significance, layers, transfer of energy and movement of air. Weather- cloud types, air movement, storms, and forecasting. Climate- factors that affect climate, different climates, and global climate change. Ecosystems and Human Population- role, flow of matter/energy, carbon cycle and effect of human population growth. Human Actions and the Land- erosion and pollution. Human Actions and the Earth's Resources- renewable vs. nonrenewable and conservation & availability. Human Actions and the Earth's Water- usage, distribution, sources, pollution, and protection. Human Action and the Atmosphere- types, causes, effects and reductionObserving and Exploring Space- electromagnetic radiation, telescopes, and current discoveriesEarth, Moon and Sun- properties, motion, tides/eclipses, sun layers and solar activityThe Solar System- motion, formation, inner vs. outer planets, dwarf planets, meteors, asteroids, and comets. Stars, Galaxies and the Universe- constellations, light/energy of stars, classification, evolution, galaxies, dark matter, dark energy, and the Big Bang Theory.
- Book Quality:
- Publisher Quality
- CK-12 Foundation
- Date of Addition:
- Copyrighted By:
- Adult content:
- Nonfiction, Science, Textbooks
- Submitted By:
- Bookshare Staff
- Usage Restrictions:
- This book is freely available to all subject to the Creative Commons license listed inside the book.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.