You must sign in to Bookshare to download.
- Brief Synopsis:
- When fourteen-year-old Lindsay meets Talon, who lives in the secret Downsider community that evolved in the subterranean passages of the subway built in New York in 1867, she and her new friend try to bridge the differences between their two cultures.
- Long Synopsis:
- Beneath the sewer grates and manholes of the city lies a strange and secret world called the Downside. Every Downsider knows that it's forbidden to go Topside, and most fear a collision of the two worlds. But fourteen-year-old Talon is curious about what goes on above ground, and one day he ventures out in search of medicine for his ailing sister. There he meets Lindsay, who is as curious about Talon's world as he is about hers. When Lindsay visits the Downside for the first time, she marvels at the spirit of the Downsiders, and the way they create works of art from topside "trash," like old subway tokens and forgotten earrings. As awed as she is by the Downside, however, she also questions its origins, and when she finds out that this fantastic world is not all it appears to be, she is determined to tell Talon the truth. Then a construction accident threatens to crush Talon's world, and his loyalty is put to the test. Can the truth save the Downside, or will it destroy an entire civilization? Neal Shusterman takes readers on an amazing journey into a place that's only a few steps away, yet beyond their wildest dreams.
- Book Quality:
- Publisher Quality
- Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers
- Date of Addition:
- Copyright Date:
- Copyrighted By:
- Neal Shusterman
- Adult content:
- English US
- Teens, Literature and Fiction, Science Fiction and Fantasy
- Grade Levels:
- Seventh grade, Eighth grade, Ninth grade
- Submitted By:
- Bookshare Staff
Reviews of Downsiders (0 reviews)
0 - No Rating Yet