Witches, Pumpkins, and Grinning Ghosts: The Story of the Halloween Symbols
You must sign in to Bookshare to download.
- Brief Synopsis:
- Here are the stories behind the Halloween symbols and customs, sometimes grim, sometimes playful, including the roles of witches, bonfires, bats, black cats, toads, ghosts, and goblins. Jokes, games and poems are also included with a list of books of Halloween stories for readers of all ages and an index.
- Long Synopsis:
- [from the back cover] "What were jack-o'-lanterns carved from before Europeans discovered pumpkins growing in the New World? Where did we get the idea that witches can fly on broomsticks? The amazing stories behind these and other familiar Halloween symbols can be found far back in history...and in the pages of this entertaining book." If you enjoyed this book and are curious to know about other holidays, the great news is that the rest of the books in this series are all in the Bookshare collection. They're easily accessible resources for ideas to satisfy curiosity, provide background you didn't know, plan parties, and start new or revive old customs. Look for: Hearts, Cupids, and Red Roses The Story of the Valentine Symbols, Shamrocks, Harps, and Shillelaghs The Story of the St. Patrick's Day Symbols, Lilies, Rabbits, and Painted Eggs The Story of the Easter Symbols, Turkeys, Pilgrims, and Indian Corn The Story of the Thanksgiving Symbols, Holly, Reindeer and Colored Lights, The Story of the Christmas Symbols and Fireworks, Picnics and Flags, The Story of the Fourth of July Symbols.
- Book Quality:
- Book Size:
- 97 Pages
- Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company
- Date of Addition:
- Copyright Date:
- Copyrighted By:
- Edna Barth
- Adult content:
- English US
- Children's Books, History, Nonfiction
- Grade Levels:
- Fourth grade, Fifth grade, Sixth grade, Seventh grade
- Submitted By:
- Evan Reese
- Proofread By:
Reviews of Witches, Pumpkins, and Grinning Ghosts: The Story of the Halloween Symbols (0 reviews)
0 - No Rating Yet