Miles Naismith Vorkosigan was not a mutant, though he was often mistaken for one. His home, Barrayar, was a militant world shaped by a bitter history and political strife.
On the world called Hyperion, beyond the law of the Hegemony of Man, there waits the creature called the Shrike. There are those who worship it. There are those who fear it. And there are those who have vowed to destroy it.
For fifty years, Dr. Ariane Emory has dominated politics on Cyteen Station because she controls Reseune. Then she is assassinated. Ariane Emory is dead. But not for long.
Intergalactic warfare threatens when a brutal alien race invades the planet Garth where human beings and sapient chimps are working to restore the dying planet.
The revised, definitive edition of the Hugo and Nebula Award-winning classic.
Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill, one of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from the alien race of the "buggers".
A debut novel set for brain stun! Streetwise SF. 1984 Nebula Award Winner.
David Brin's Uplift novels are among the most thrilling and extraordinary science fiction ever written. Sundiver, Startide Rising, and The Uplift War--a New York Times bestseller--together make up one of the most beloved sagas of all time.
A novel of a world ruled by technocrats by winter and primative islanders by summer.
Story about a king who built gardens to reach the gods thousands of years ago, and jumping forward, how a space elevator is used these days to probe our solar system
A splendid tale, combining the sensitivity and attention to mood of the new generation of science fiction writers.
Robinette Broadhead got out of the Wyoming oil-into-protein conversion mines, by winning a lottery and gained a one-way ticket to Gateway, an abandoned"interstellar depot...
Story of an isolated post-holocaust community determined to preserve itself, through a perilous experiment in cloning.
Imagine yourself conscripted to fight an Interstellar war that willlast.
In this humanistic, Nebula-winning novel, a visionary scientist tries to break down walls between a materialistic world and a Utopia based on individual freedom, collectivism, and social pressure.
The first images, from 10000 km away, brought a halt to all activities of mankind. On a billion TV screens, a tiny cylinder grew rapidly second by second. Everyone knew it wasn't a natural object. First book in Clarke's Rama series.
Only a few know the terrifying truth--an outcast Earth scientist, a rebellious alien inhabitant of a dying planet, a lunar-born human intuitionist who senses the imminent annihilation of the Sun. They know the truth--but who will listen?
First volume in the Riverworld series. All of humanity, everyone that ever lived has suddenly awakened on a world, a river world. You may not find your name in this book, but you're here.
Four travelers explore a gigantic world in the shape of a ring in this Hugo award winning science fiction novel.
The sci-fi classic about a Terran male who goes to Gethen, where people go through cycles, becoming male or female once a month. Winner of the Nebula and Hugo awards.
There are seven billion-plus humans crowding the surface of 21st century Earth. It is an age of intelligent computers, mass-market psychedelic drugs, politics conducted by assassination, scientists who burn incense to appease volcanoes ...all the hysteria of a dangerously overcrowded world, portrayed in a dazzlingly inventive style.
Earth is long since dead. On a colony planet, a band of men has gained control of technology, made themselves immortal, and now rules their world as the gods of the Hindu pantheon. Only one dares oppose them: he who was once Siddhartha and is now Mahasamatman. Binder of Demons. Lord of Light.
1965 Nebula Award winning Sci Fi. 1966 Hugo award winner.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.