On a remote, icy planet, the soldier known as Breq is drawing closer to completing her quest. Breq is both more than she seems and less than she was.
Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union since the year 2456.
Winner of the 2011 Nebula Award for Best Novel. Startling, unusual, and yet irresistibly readable, Among Others is at once the compelling story of a young woman struggling to escape a troubled childhood, a brilliant diary of first encounters with the great novels of modern fantasy and SF, and a spellbinding tale of escape from ancient enchantment.
Winner of the Nebula AwardTraveling back in time, from Oxford circa 2060 into the thick of World War II, was a routine excursion for three British historians eager to study firsthand the heroism and horrors of the Dunkirk evacuation and the London
Oxford in 2060 is a chaotic place, with scores of time-traveling historians being sent into the past. Michael Davies is prepping to go to Pearl Harbor.
BONUS: This edition contains a The City & The City discussion guide and excerpts from China Miéville's Kraken and Embassytown.NAMED ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY THE LOS ANGELES TIMES, THE SEATTLE TIMES, AND PUBLISHERS WEEKLY.
What Happens when bio-terrorism becomes a tool for corporate profits? And what happens when said bio-terrorism forces humanity to the cusp of post-human evolution?
Nobody Owens is a normal boy, except that he has been raised by ghosts and other denizens of the graveyard.
For sixty years Jewish refugees and their descendants have prospered in the Federal District of Sitka, a "temporary" safe haven created in the wake of the Holocaust and the shocking 1948 collapse of the fledgling state of Israel.
Set in the near future, people use high-tech contact lenses to interface with computers in their clothes. But one poet, his mind restored from the ravages of Alzheimer's, has difficulty adjusting to his new world.
This is the latest stand-alone novel by one of the most readable and engrossing writers of science fiction practising today.
Nineteenth century historical fantasy wherein two magicians war against a backdrop of the Napoleonic war and Victorian Britain.
First in trilogy featuring contact between humans and a parallel universe where Neanderthals evolved a very different culture from our own.
A man named Shadow is swept into a war between ancient and modern gods.
A teenager pitching headfirst into the world of near-adulthood, Harry returns to Hogwarts for his fourth year. The fourth book in the series.
The search for aliens has finally been solved but will everything go according to plan?
humorous time-travel tale of someone who goes to the Victorian era to find an ugly object and repair the fabric of space-time.
Last book of the Mars trilogy. The colonists have almost terraformed Mars but are threatened by an ice age while trying to gain independence from Earth.
Sequel to Brothers in Arms. Miles and Mark cross paths again.
The Hugo Award-winning Green Mars continues the thrilling, timeless tale of humanity's struggle to survive at its farthest frontier. Nearly a generation has passed since first pioneers landed, but transformation to Earthlike planet has just begun.
A race to rescue two children stranded on a world of medieval alien pack minds along with a Countermeasure that may destroy the super-intelligence bent on controlling all sentient life in the galaxy.
A science fiction novel with a time travel theme. 1992 Nebula Award Winner.
Sequel to Shards of Honor, chronicling the events leading up to Miles Naismith Vorkosigan's birth.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.