A young boy is trapped by a crafty witch who will not free him unless he can guess her name.
With honesty and grace, award-winning author Francisco Jiménez shares his most poignant Christmas memory in this beautifully illustrated picture book. As Christmas approaches, Panchito can't wait to see what present he gets.
This beautifully written and illustrated book will inspire children with its artistry, imagination, and spirit. A young girl embarks on a poetic journey through the desert, discovering the many gifts that nature offers. In English and Spanish.
In clear and eloquent language, Gary Paulsen pays tribute to a cycle of life--from seed to plant to tortilla.
Tomás is a son of migrant workers. Every summer he and his family follow the crops north from Texas to Iowa, spending long, arduous days in the fields. At night they gather around to hear Grandfather's wonderful stories.
As she helped her mother prepare the tamales for Christmas dinner, Maria slipped her mother's diamond ring onto her finger for just a moment. But suddenly, the ring was gone, and there were 24 tamales that just might contain the missing ring.
A biography of the Cuban ballerina who founded her own ballet school and company, performed with the Ballet Russe, and continued to dance even after she lost her sight.
After suddenly being orphaned, twelve-year-old Consuelo reluctantly moves in with her American grandmother while hoping to return soon to her Mexican American family.
The everyday experiences of an eight-year-old Puerto Rican girl growing up in a close-knit, urban community.
Feeling like an outsider when she visits her relatives in Puerto Rico for the first time, eleven-year-old Felita finds herself having to come to terms with the heritage she always took for granted.
Hermanas / Sistersby Paulsen, Gary
A collection of thirteen short stories about the everyday lives of Mexican American young people in California's Central Valley.
In English and Spanish, this book presents a picture of life in the town of Moguer, in Andalusia, Spain, as seen through the eyes of a wandering poet and his faithful donkey.
21-year-old Beaver tries to create a decent life for himself and his brother following his mother's death and his own stint in prison. The story explores maintaining a family against difficult odds and trying to live an honorable life.
Join nine-year-old Hubaldo Romero Páez in Venezuela as he introduces his friends, his family, and his favorite sport -- baseball.
Hubaldo Antonio Romero Páez nos presenta a su familia, a su país y, más importante, a su deporte preferido, el béisbol.
This tribute to 14 Latino baseball legends, designed like a collection of baseball cards, features portraits and profiles of some of the sport's greatest players from Cuba, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Venezuela, and the Dominican Republic.
Anilu Bernardo's spunky Cuban-American protagonists navigate the uncertain waters of adolescence in Miami, and their lot is all that much harder as they juggle the traditional burdens of middle school and high school coupled with the stresses of living those burdens in a foreign culture.
A collection of poems in Spanish and English about childhood, place, and identity.
In a village in Chile, Pedro and Daniel are two typical nine-year-old boys. Up until Daniel's father gets arrested, their biggest worry had been how to improve their soccer skills.
Béisbol es muy popular en América Latina y muchos de los mejores jugadores del deporte crecían sur de la frontera. Este libro hace reseñas biográficas de catorce de estas gran estrellas quienes jugaban desde 1900 a las 1960s.
Grades 9 and up
Silent Dancing is about a young girl as she struggles through life, constantly being moved from the U.S. to Puerto Rico, and back again.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.