Twelve-year-old Will Scott is not happy to be riding the Orphan Train because he is not really an orphan. But his father says he will have a better life out west.
J.R.R. Tolkien's fantasy masterpiece The Hobbit is a tale of high adventure, undertaken by a company of dwarves in search of dragon-guarded gold.
Junie B. is the bestest spier in the world. That's 'cause she has sneaky feet. Junie B. might be real sneaky. And real peeky. But when she spies on Mrs., she could get into real trouble!
Miata Ramirez is scared and upset. She left her folklorico skirt on her school bus, the skirt that belonged to her mother when she was a child in Mexico. Can Miata get the skirt back
Although classmates say that she can't play Peter Pan in the school play, because she's black and a girl, Grace discovers that she can do anything she sets her mind to do.
A fifth-grade class election is full of surprises when Julio nominates his best friend but ends up becoming much more involved!
Maggie, a feisty third-grader, refuses to learn how to read or write cursive writing.
Yuki, a 12-year-old Japanese American girl, and her family were sent to a concentration camp in Utah. This is the story of their journey back to Berkeley, California after WWII is over.
A Red-Riding Hood story from China about three siblings that use their courage and wit to fight a bad wolf.
As the German troops begin their campaign to "relocate" all the Jews of Denmark, Annemarie Johansen's family takes in Annemarie's best friend, Ellen Rosen, and conceals her as part of the family.
Beverly Cleary's memoirs of growing up on a farm and then in Portland, Oregon as she develops into a writer.
Mrs. Jane Tabby could not explain why all four of her children had wings. But it meant that her dreams for her kittens would someday come true.
Lucas Cott desires to be a good student while his classmates want him to be funny as the class clown!
This award-winning contemporary classic is the survival story with which all others are compared--and a page-turning, heart-stopping adventure.
Boy-Strength-of-Blue-Horses and his grandfather reminisce about the young blind boy's birth, his first horse, and an exciting horse race.
A young Chinese girl in 1947 comes to Brooklyn and discovers her love for baseball while adjusting to new life in America.
Farmer Hoggett and his wife discover that their new piglet Babe is no ordinary pig (made into a movie called Babe).
Leigh writes to an author, Mr. Henshaw as he struggles with being the new kid in town and as he deals with his parents going through a divorce.
Pocahontas is a young girl in an Indian tribe who is caught between the tensions of the Indian culture and the culture of the white settlers.
Left alone to guard the family's wilderness home in eighteenth-century Maine, a boy is hard-pressed to survive until local Indians teach him their skills.
A memoir of Jean Fritz's childhood in China where she felt homesick for America--a place she'd never been but longed for.
Barbara Cooney's story of Alice Rumphius, who longed to travel the world, live in a house by the sea, and do something to make the world more beautiful, has a timeless quality that resonates with each new generation. Images and image descriptions available.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.