Two high-school students befriend a strange old man and through their visits share unexpected love and laughter.
"Three unwanted kids--Pinballs, as wisecracking Carly dubs them--collide in a warm and caring foster home and learn to pin their hopes on each other". --School Library Journal. ALA Notable Children's Book; School Library Journal Best Books of 1977.
"We want you to do it again. " These words, spoken to Brian Robeson, will change his life. Two years earlier, Brian was stranded alone in the wilderness for fifty-four days with nothing but a small hatchet. Yet he survived.
Classic story of Mary and her discovery of a secret garden, locked and forgotten behind walls.
Left alone to guard the family's wilderness home in eighteenth-century Maine, a boy is hard-pressed to survive until local Indians teach him their skills.
Not every thirteen-year-old girl is accused of murder, brought to trial and found guilty ...
On an Earth where the Tripods -- huge, three-legged machines -- have ruled for as long as anyone can remember, thirteen-year-old Will harbors fears about the Capping ceremony he will soon undergo.
Sixteen-year-old Kit Tyler is marked by suspicion and disapproval from the moment she arrives on the unfamiliar shores of colonial Connecticut in 1687.
A compilation of reminiscences of slaves and ex-slaves about their lives, from those leaving Africa through the Civil War into the 20th century.
Classic tale of the sea, a hunt for buried treasure, pirates and adventures. Features Long John Silver, one of Stevenson's most enduring characters.
The Tuck family has a secret--that they drink from a magical spring which gives them eternal life. However, their secret is about to be known to others in the community.
Twelve-year-old Will Scott is not happy to be riding the Orphan Train because he is not really an orphan. But his father says he will have a better life out west.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.