Historical fiction about how the Revolutionary War tore one family apart, from the point of view of a young boy. A Newbery Honor book.
Cassie's family has raised her to be a strong black girl, able to stand up for her humanity. But one year's events turns her world upside down.
An Indian boy who tends llamas in a hidden valley in Peru learns the traditions and secrets of his Inca ancestors.
Manolo Olivar is eleven and is a coward. However, he needs to face his fear to follow in his father's footsteps to become a bullfighter. Newbery Award book.
Little Willy is determined to keep his sick grandfather's farm going and enters into a race with his loyal dog, Searchlight.
In this redesigned edition of Scott O'Dell's classic novel, a young Native American woman, accompanied by her infant and her cruel husband, experiences joy and heartbreak when she joins the Lewis and Clark expedition seeking a way to the Pacific.
As Patty Bergen turns twelve, her hometown turns into a campsite for German prisoners during World War II and she comes to befriend a Nazi prison escapee.
2 teenagers uncover a plot to rob the tomb of an Egyptian pharaoh.
Two childhood friends start to grow apart at age sixteen as they encounter violence and drugs.
Mark Twain's classic story of a young boy's life in a small town on the Mississippi River.
Young Taran rescues his master's pig with a renowned hero, a girl sorcerer, a fibbing harper, and a half human craving munchings. They face unkillable warriors, and learn true bravery and loyalty.
Pocahontas is a young girl in an Indian tribe who is caught between the tensions of the Indian culture and the culture of the white settlers.
Jon loses his memory and must find someone who can help him while he uses his extraordinary power to read people's minds.
Unforgettable stories by O. Henry such as The Gift of the Magi, The Last Leaf, and others. A wonderful mixture of romance, suspense, and comedy!
Twelve-year-old Jonas lives in a seemingly ideal world. Not until he is given his life assignment as the Receiver does he begin to understand the dark secrets behind this fragile community.
Michael's great-great-aunt Dew is a hundred years old. She keeps a box in her room filled with pennies, one for each year she has lived. Michael's mother wants to get rid of the old box. But Michael knows that if Aunt Dew loses that old box, it will be like losing a part of their life. He has to make his mother understand.
A young man receives two presents that will change his life: a plastic miniature Indian that magically comes to life inside a mysterious old cupboard.From the Hardcover edition.
A collection of personal reminiscences of the author's youth in a hamlet on the central highlands of Vietnam.
"True Son," born John Butler in a little frontier town, was captured by the Lenni Lenape Indians when he was four years old, and adopted into the tribe by the great warrior Cuyloga who renamed him and reared him as his son.
From the author of "Catherine, Called Birdy" comes another spellbinding novel set in medieval England. The girl known only as Brat has no family, no home, and no future until she meets Jane the Midwife and becomes her apprentice.
14 short stories by Harte, with an introduction by Wallace Stegner, a selected bibliography, and notes on the text.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.