Back cover: Upton Sinclair's unflinching chronicle of crushing poverty and oppression set in Chicago in the early 1900s.
In 1949 four Chinese women, drawn together by the shadow of their past, begin meeting in San Francisco to play mah jong, invest in stocks, eat dim sum, and tell stories.
The officers aboard a new Soviet ballistic-missile submarine are attempting to defect. If the U.S. fleet can locate the sub and get her safely to port, it will be the intelligence coup of all time.
With the publication of her first novel, THE HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER, Carson McCullers, all of twenty-three, became a literary sensation.
The exemplary novel of the Jazz Age, F. Scott Fitzgeralds' third book, The Great Gatsby (1925), stands as the supreme achievement of his career. T. S.
Story by the Nobel Prize winning author about an honest farmer Wang Lung and his selfless wife O-lan in pre-revolutionary China.
When The Fountainhead was first published, Ayn Rand's daringly original literary vision and her groundbreaking philosophy, Objectivism, won immediate worldwide interest and acclaim.
An American classic on pithy writing and perfect grammar.
From the back cover: Dumas' epic tale of suffering and retribution, inspired by a real-life tale of wrongful imprisonment was a huge popular success when it was first serialized in the 1840s.
Book Description The shortest and probably earliest of Shakespeare's comedies, The Comedy of Errors is the story of identical twin brothers who are raised apart-and then mistaken for each other.
"A uniquely American coming of age. Ruth McBride Jordan's anecdotes are richly detailed, her voice clear and engaging. And she has a story worth telling." - The Miami Herald
The Pulitzer Prize winning book by Alice Walker that was made into a movie.
Holden Caulfield, a native New Yorker, is expelled from his Pennsylvania prep school. He travels back to his family's New York apartment, but spends time underground in the city before returning there. This is a classic coming of age story of an angst-ridden youngster, misunderstood by the adults around him.
The breaking of a bridge causes the death of five people. Brother Juniper investigates their past lives to shed light on the reasons of their deaths.
Sylvia Plath's shocking, realistic, and intensely emotional novel about a woman falling into the grip of insanityEsther Greenwood is brilliant, beautiful, enormously talented, and successful, but slowly going under--maybe for the last time.
Mark Twain's sequel to Adventures of Tom Sawyer. A modern masterpiece of American fiction.
It is the tale of an orphaned sahib and the burdensome fate that awaits him when he is unwittingly dragged into the Great Game of Imperialism.
Shakespeare's timeless tragedy of conspiracy and betrayal tells the story of the murder of Julius Caesar and the gruesome aftermath as Rome descends into a violent mob.
Book Description Hardy's masterpiece traces a poor stonemason's ill-fated romance with his free-spirited cousin.
A team of explorers makes an expedition into a crater in Iceland that leads to the center of the earth and to incredible and horrifying discoveries.
This historical novel relates the experiences of Johnny Tremain, a young teenager living in Boston between 1773 and 1776, and his involvement in the historic events taking place at that time.
"Come to me-come to me entirely now," said he. "Make my happiness--I will make yours." Born into a poor family and raised by an oppressive aunt, young Jane Eyre becomes the governess at Thornfield Manor to escape the confines of her life.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.