Back cover: Upton Sinclair's unflinching chronicle of crushing poverty and oppression set in Chicago in the early 1900s.
In 1949 four Chinese women, drawn together by the shadow of their past, begin meeting in San Francisco to play mah jong, invest in stocks, eat dim sum, and tell stories.
The officers aboard a new Soviet ballistic-missile submarine are attempting to defect. If the U.S. fleet can locate the sub and get her safely to port, it will be the intelligence coup of all time.
With the publication of her first novel, THE HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER, Carson McCullers, all of twenty-three, became a literary sensation.
The exemplary novel of the Jazz Age, F. Scott Fitzgeralds' third book, The Great Gatsby (1925), stands as the supreme achievement of his career. T. S.
Story by the Nobel Prize winning author about an honest farmer Wang Lung and his selfless wife O-lan in pre-revolutionary China.
A book about intellectual honesty, creativity and conscience, as well as a wonderfully effective evocation of the pressures to succeed in America.
An American classic on pithy writing and perfect grammar.
From the back cover: Dumas' epic tale of suffering and retribution, inspired by a real-life tale of wrongful imprisonment was a huge popular success when it was first serialized in the 1840s.
Book Description The shortest and probably earliest of Shakespeare's comedies, The Comedy of Errors is the story of identical twin brothers who are raised apart-and then mistaken for each other.
"A uniquely American coming of age. Ruth McBride Jordan's anecdotes are richly detailed, her voice clear and engaging. And she has a story worth telling." - The Miami Herald
The Pulitzer Prize winning book by Alice Walker that was made into a movie.
Holden Caulfield, a native New Yorker, is expelled from his Pennsylvania prep school. He travels back to his family's New York apartment, but spends time underground in the city before returning there. This is a classic coming of age story of an angst-ridden youngster, misunderstood by the adults around him.
The breaking of a bridge causes the death of five people. Brother Juniper investigates their past lives to shed light on the reasons of their deaths.
Mark Twain's sequel to Adventures of Tom Sawyer. A modern masterpiece of American fiction.
It is the tale of an orphaned sahib and the burdensome fate that awaits him when he is unwittingly dragged into the Great Game of Imperialism.
Tragedy about the death of the Emperor Julius Caesar and its aftermath.
Book Description Hardy's masterpiece traces a poor stonemason's ill-fated romance with his free-spirited cousin.
A team of explorers makes an expedition into a crater in Iceland that leads to the center of the earth and to incredible and horrifying discoveries.
This historical novel relates the experiences of Johnny Tremain, a young teenager living in Boston between 1773 and 1776, and his involvement in the historic events taking place at that time.
"Come to me-come to me entirely now," said he. "Make my happiness--I will make yours." Born into a poor family and raised by an oppressive aunt, young Jane Eyre becomes the governess at Thornfield Manor to escape the confines of her life.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.