Stories filled with wonder and the haunting beauty of his culture have helped make Rudolfo Anaya the father of Chicano literature in English, and his tales fairly shimmer with the lyric richness of his prose.
What if a Siddartha or a Jesus came into our time, with power over the illusions of the world?
Historical fiction of the great events that swept China in the spring of 1989, after the Tian An Men Square uprising.
Futuristic story of a society which burns books, and a man who tries to change things.
"Come to me-come to me entirely now," said he. "Make my happiness--I will make yours." Born into a poor family and raised by an oppressive aunt, young Jane Eyre becomes the governess at Thornfield Manor to escape the confines of her life.
Story by the Nobel Prize winning author about an honest farmer Wang Lung and his selfless wife O-lan in pre-revolutionary China.
The officers aboard a new Soviet ballistic-missile submarine are attempting to defect. If the U.S. fleet can locate the sub and get her safely to port, it will be the intelligence coup of all time.
Loosely based on Conrad's firsthand experience of rescuing a company agent from a remote station in the heart of the Congo, the novel is considered a literary bridge between the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
A novel about the clash of the ancient culture versus the modern culture of the Indians of the Pacific Northwest.
Presents humorous anecdotes from the author's childhood which includes summer vacations in Norway and an English boarding school.
Classic tale featuring Tiny Tim, Ebenezer Scrooge, and the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future.
David Copperfield is the story of a young man's adventures on his journey from an unhappy and impoverished childhood to the discovery of his vocation as a successful novelist.
Pip, a poor orphan being raised by a cruel sister, does not have much in the way of great expectations between his terrifying experience in a graveyard with a convict named Magwitch and his humiliating visits with the eccentric Miss Havisham's
From inside flap: Crime And Punishment takes the reader on a journey into the darkest recesses of the criminal and depraved mind, and exposes the soul of a man possessed by both good and evil
From the back cover: Dumas' epic tale of suffering and retribution, inspired by a real-life tale of wrongful imprisonment was a huge popular success when it was first serialized in the 1840s.
Invisible Manis a milestone in American literature, a book that has continued to engage readers since its appearance in 1952.
The exemplary novel of the Jazz Age, F. Scott Fitzgeralds' third book, The Great Gatsby (1925), stands as the supreme achievement of his career. T. S.
This historical novel relates the experiences of Johnny Tremain, a young teenager living in Boston between 1773 and 1776, and his involvement in the historic events taking place at that time.
A teenage Jewish girl's recorded thoughts and impressions while she and her family were being hidden in a safe house during the Nazi occupation of Holland.
Inman, a Confederate soldier, decides to walk back to his home in the Blue Ridge Mountains and to Ada, the woman he loves.
The story of a redoubtable 11-year-old orphan who overcomes adversity with humor, spunk and determination.
Book Description Rostand's masterpiece-and the ultimate triumph of the great French romantic tradition-is the magnificent hero-for-all-seasons, Cyrano de Bergerac.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.