Set in India, Siddhartha is the story of a young Brahmin's search for ultimate reality after meeting with the Buddha. Includes suggestions for further reading.
Centering on the infamous firebombing of Dresden, Billy Pilgrim's odyssey through time reflects the mythic journey of our own fractured lives as we search for meaning.
Dramatic story of the black experience in America, by the Nobel Prize winning author
In the town of Spoon River, the dead are given a last chance to speak to the living in the form of epitaphs written on their tombstones.
Hardy's famous classic, an intimate portrait of a woman who is one of literature's most admirable and tragic heroines
Chronicles of man and Mars as man conquers Mars and Mars conquers man.
Shakespearean play with two subplots 1) Antonio defaults on a loan from Shylock the Jew, who demands his life as bond 2) Portia must marry the man who passes a test her father arranged.
A collection of stories by Franz Kafka including The Metamorphosis--a story about a man who becomes trapped inside the body of a bug.
An old fisherman goes to sea one last time to catch the greatest fish of his life.
In this short book illuminated by a deep understanding and love of humanity, John Steinbeck retells an old Mexican folk tale: the story of the great pearl, how it was found, and how it was lost.
Two high-school students befriend a strange old man and through their visits share unexpected love and laughter.
A comic adventure romance about a beautiful girl who thinks she has lost her one and only love and marries a malicious prince.
13 tales and 16 poems by the famous author, including all his famous ones. Reading group guide at the end.
Back cover: Can Henry find the strength within himself to earn the red badge of courage?
Book Description Passionate Eustacia Vye detests her life amid the dreary environs of Egdon Heath and spies her escape when Clym Yeobright returns from Paris.
New Mexico in the late 19th century and the conflicts between the pioneering ranchers and the farmers.
Short novella by Conrad. Story of an uncertain captain, who nearly runs his boat aground on rocks to give a murderer a chance at freedom.
9 short stories: The Snows of Kilimanjaro; A Clean, Well-Lighted Place; In Another Country; The Killers; My Old Man; Big Two-Hearted River Part 1 and 2; Fifty Grand; and more
"I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire. . . . I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.