A compilation of reminiscences of slaves and ex-slaves about their lives, from those leaving Africa through the Civil War into the 20th century.
THINGS FALL APART tells two overlapping, intertwining stories, both of which center around Okonkwo, a "strong man" of an Ibo village in Nigeria.
A young girl's account of growing up Chinese-American in California.
On an Earth where the Tripods -- huge, three-legged machines -- have ruled for as long as anyone can remember, thirteen-year-old Will harbors fears about the Capping ceremony he will soon undergo.
As she sits watching a seemingly perfect family and a handsome lifeguard on the beach, a lonely, troubled girl projects herself into the fantasy lives she has created for them.
A classic work of American literature that has not stopped changing minds and lives since it burst onto the literary scene, The Things They Carried is a ground-breaking meditation on war, memory, imagination, and the redemptive power of storytelling.
This controversial comedy--the inspiration for such modern works as Kiss Me, Kate and 10 Things I Hate About You--follows the tumultuous courtship and marriage of Petruchio and the headstrong Katherina.
The poignantly beautiful story of a group of American and English expatriates on a sojourn from Paris to Pamplona.
An ordinary man lives quietly in Algiers until he commits a pointless murder and is tried, being helplessly carried off by the grip of life itself.
"I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire. . . . I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it.
9 short stories: The Snows of Kilimanjaro; A Clean, Well-Lighted Place; In Another Country; The Killers; My Old Man; Big Two-Hearted River Part 1 and 2; Fifty Grand; and more
Short novella by Conrad. Story of an uncertain captain, who nearly runs his boat aground on rocks to give a murderer a chance at freedom.
New Mexico in the late 19th century and the conflicts between the pioneering ranchers and the farmers.
Book Description Passionate Eustacia Vye detests her life amid the dreary environs of Egdon Heath and spies her escape when Clym Yeobright returns from Paris.
Back cover: Can Henry find the strength within himself to earn the red badge of courage?
13 tales and 16 poems by the famous author, including all his famous ones. Reading group guide at the end.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.