- Table View
- List View
This long-awaited collection from one of the most distinguished poets working today includes new poems written during the past four years as well as generous selections from previous collections.
Leaving Home...forever. Like many girls her age in India, thirteen-year-old Koly is getting married. When she discovers that the husband her parents have chosen for her is sickly boy with wicked parents, Koly wishes she could flee.
This is the story of Lin Kong, a man living in two worlds, struggling with the conflicting claims of two utterly different women as he moves through the political minefields of society designed to regulate his every move and stifle the promptings of his innermost heart.
Following his National Book Critics Award winning "War Without Mercy on the Pacific theater," Dower (History, Massachusetts Institute of Technology) examines the immediate aftermath of World War II in Japan.
It's the summer Toby's mother leaves for good. The summer his best friend's brother is serving in Vietnam. And it's the summer Zachary Beaver, the fattest boy in the world, arrives in town.
Billy Lynch's family and friends have gathered at a small Bronx bar to comfort his widow and eulogize one of the last great romantics...
Writer Edward Ball opens Slaves in the Family with an anecdote: "My father had a little joke that made light of our legacy as a family that had once owned slaves.
Stanley Yelnats is under a curse. A curse that began with his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather and has since followed generations of Yelnats.
Inman, a Confederate soldier, decides to walk back to his home in the Blue Ridge Mountains and to Ada, the woman he loves.
Dancing on the Edgeby Nolan, Han
The love of science, the science of love--and the struggle to reconcile the two--are the subjects of this remarkable collection, stories and a novella.
An American Requiem is the story of one man's coming of age. But more than that, it is a coming to terms with the conflicts that disrupted many families, inflicting personal wounds that were also social, political, and religious.
Manny relates his coming of age experiences as a member of a poor Mexican family in which the alcoholic father only adds to everyone's struggle.
He is relentlessly defiant. He is exceedingly libidinous. His appetite for the outrageous is insatiable.
For governments, dealing with past injustice has been not a way to break free of it, but a first step in its recurrence. This book is about breaking that link, which promises most of those who survived communism's tragic past a tragic future as well.
A collection of Kunitz's best poems.
A scathing depiction of America's litigious society. Winner of the 1994 National Book Award.
Attempting to demythologize the process of dying, Nuland explores how we shall die, each of us in a way that will be unique. First published in 1994, a 2010 perspective is written by the author.
Winner of the 1994 National Book Award for poetry. A great new collection of poems by the 1992 Pulitzer Prize-winner. Tate may just be our greatest poet, or at least our most interesting. Annotation c. by Book News, Inc., Portland, Or.
Story of love and self-discovery set on the coast of Newfoundland.
United States: Essays 1952-1992by Vidal, Gore
A book-length poem, "Garbage" is an epic of ideas: all life -- not that of human beings alone, but every species -- is shown to be part of an ultimate reality.
This breath-taking book is the first in McCarthy's Border Trilogy.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.