This novel is set in India in the mid-1970s. A "State of Internal Emergency" has been declared, and in those days that follow, four disparate people find their lives becoming unexpectedly and inextricably entwined.
In a small Cajun community in the late 1940s, a young black man named Jefferson is an unwitting party to a liquor store shootout in which three men are killed. The only survivor, he is convicted of murder and sentenced to death.
From the author of the widely acclaimed The Book of Ruth comes a harrowing, heartbreaking drama about a rural American family and a disastrous event that forever changes their lives.
At the age of 23, James Frey woke up on a plane to find his front teeth knocked out and his nose broken. He had no idea where the plane was headed nor any recollection of the past two weeks.
How to overcome many limitations and find our individual and collective inner purpose
ENDURING LITERATURE ILLUMINATED BY PRACTICAL SCHOLARSHIP Dickens's epic novel of freedom, love, and the burning chaos of the French Revolution.
Two unforgettable characters, Jack Ernest Stokes, known as Blinking Jack, and his wife, Ruby Pitt Woodrow Stokes, tell the story of their years together.
As I Lay Dying is a novel set in the deep South. In the novel, Faulkner follows a family on their journey to bury Addie, the matriarch of the family.
Harley Altmyer barely has it together. With his father dead and his mother in prison for murder, he has to work at 2 low-paying jobs and take care of his 3 younger sisters.
Fran tells of a troubled marriage, why she stayed and why she chose to run away. The story unravels the complex threads of identity and desire that shape her life.
At the age of twelve, Sophie is sent from her impoverished village in Haiti to New York, to be reunited with a mother she barely remembers. There she discovers secrets that no child should ever know.
The "New York Times" bestseller and Oprah's Book Club Pick--the unique and deeply moving epic of four generations of African-American women based on one family's ancestral past.
Cry, the Beloved Country is a beautifully told and profoundly compassionate story of the Zulu pastor Stephen Kumalo and his son Absalom, set in the troubled and changing South Africa of the 1940s.
Eliza Sommers follows her lover from Chile to California during the Gold Rush of 1849.
"POWERFUL . . . SUSPENSEFUL . . . RICHLY TEXTURED . . . [A] CHILLING, PRECOCIOUSLY GOOD START TO A BRIGHT NEW NOVELIST'S CAREER. " -The New York Times "[A] gripping psychological thriller . . .
Set in the rich farmland of the Salinas Valley, California, this often brutal novel follows the intertwined destinies of two families
The story of a redoubtable 11-year-old orphan who overcomes adversity with humor, spunk and determination.
They are the Pipers of Cape Breton Island -- a family steeped in lies and unspoken truths that reach out from the past, forever mindful of the tragic secret that could shatter the family to its foundations.
Patty and Walter Berglund were the new pioneers of old St. Paul, the gentrifiers, the hands-on parents, the avant-garde of the Whole Foods generation.
Mountain life in the Southern Appalachian Region ...
ENDURING LITERATURE ILLUMINATED BY PRACTICAL SCHOLARSHIP Dickens's timeless tale of an orphan boy's extraordinary journey through life.
After twenty years March and her 15 year old daughter returns to the small Massachusetts town where she grew up . And meets Hollis, the boy she loved, the man she can't now seem to stay away from.
A dispute over the ownership of a house leads to tragic consequences.
With his stunning debut novel, She's Come Undone, Wally Lamb won the adulation of critics and readers with his mesmerizing tale of one woman's painful yet triumphant journey of self-discovery.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.