A young girl's growing up in Appalachia, with the undiagnosed condition of Tourette's Syndrome, narrated by the now-grown Icy Sparks.
In the backwoods of Mississippi, Jewel and her husband are truly blessed; they have five fine children. When Brenda Kay is born in 1943, Jewel gives thanks for a healthy baby, last-born and most welcome.
"Read, read, read. Read everything--trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! You'll absorb it. Then write. If it is good, you'll find out.
Little Bill and his friends LOVE the TV show Space Explorers. And so when the new Space Explorers video game comes out, they each want a copy. But when Little Bill asks his parents to buy him the game, they say no.
In their youth, Florentino Ariza and Fermina Daza fall passionately in love, but she marries another. Will the lovers reunite after more than 50 years apart?
Spanning eight decades and chronicling the wild ride of a Greek-American family through the vicissitudes of the twentieth century, Jeffrey Eugenides' witty, exuberant novel on one level tells a traditional story about three generations of a
On a violent, stormy winter night, a home birth goes disastrously wrong.
The story revolves about twenty-eight-year-old Even, a black man who grew up an orphan, and Valuable Korner, a fifteen-year-old white girl who is the daughter of the town whore and an unknown father.
A new translation of Wiesel's landmark book Night, and the text of his 1986 Nobel Peace Prize Acceptance Speech.
One of the 20th century's enduring works, One Hundred Years of Solitude is a widely beloved and acclaimed novel known throughout the world, and the ultimate achievement in a Nobel Prize-winning career.
Samantha's husband leaves her, and after the divorce, she settles down to reconstruct a life for herself and her eleven-year-old son. To meet her mortgage payments, Sam decides to take in boarders.
Trouble arises in the small town of Ruby, Oklahoma. Last of a trilogy, that starts with Beloved and includes Jazz.
Six-year-old Clara is drowned in the Potomac. Twelve-year-old Johnnie Mae, must come to terms with the powerful emotions sparked by her sister's death and discover the kind of woman she will become.
Uwem Akpan's stunning stories humanize the perils of poverty and violence so piercingly that few readers will feel they've ever encountered Africa so immediately.
In this extraordinary coming-of-age odyssey, Wally Lamb invites us to hitch a wild ride on a journey of love, pain, and renewal with the most heartbreakingly comical heroine to come along in years. Meet Dolores Price.
Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon, a novel of large beauty and power, creates a magical world out of four generations of black life in America, a world we enter on the day of the birth of Macon Dead, Jr.
Marie is a strong but vulnerable divorced woman, whose ambitions for her chidren and loneliness make her easy prey for a con man.
The tale of a Moroccan family that was imprisoned for over 20 years for their father's crime. A fascinating story - all the more so because it is true and happened in our time!
Stones from the River is a daring, dramatic and complex novel of life in Germany. It is set in Burgdorf, a small fictional German town, between 1915 and 1951. The protagonist is Trudi Montag, a Zwerg -- the German word for dwarf woman.
In clear, dark, resonant language, Nobel Prize winner Toni Morrison brilliantly evokes not only a bond between two lives, but the harsh, loveless, ultimately mad world in which that bond is destroyed, the world of the Bottom and its people.
2 women, 1 Irish, 1 American - set up a home exchange business; their unlikely and touching friendship unveils secrets and changes lives. When Danny Lynch tells his wife Ria that he has a young pregnant mistress, Ria thinks that her world has ended.
The Bluest Eye (1970) is the first novel written by Toni Morrison. It is the story of eleven-year-old Pecola Breedlove--a black girl in an America whose love for its blond, blue-eyed children can devastate all others--who prays for her eyes to turn blue: so that she will be beautiful, so that people will look at her, so that her world will be different. This is the story of the nightmare at the heart of her yearning and the tragedy of its fulfillment.
This book, Hamilton's first novel, is about Ruth, a girl who while growing up compares poorly to her prodigy brother Matt.
Novel about the old-fashioned world of civic virtue and sexual inhibition colliding with the era of home surveillance, hands-off parenting, and globalized greed.
Beth Cappadora, smart-mouthed and disorganized, has considered herself a good mother of her three children. Then her three-year-old son Ben disappears from the hotel while the whole family is visiting Chicago for Beth's 15th high-school reunion.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.