A beautifully crafted story about murder, and evil that is perhaps worse than murder. You will not find a more sympathetic murderer in all of literature. The author expertly leads to a conclusion that is both satisfying and disturbing.
When Ben Dill, an investigator for a Senate Subcommittee, gets a call from his home town telling him that his sister, a homicide detective, died in a car bomb explosion, he puts his investigator skills to work to find who killed her and why.
Winner of the Edgar Award. Doc Adams becomes a self-styled investigator in this mystery, which leads him from a murder on Billingsgate Shoal to an arms-smuggling ring.
Newscaster Pam Barrett witnesses a peregrine falcon, on a signal by her falconer, swoop down from the sky and kill a young woman. Her TV account of it excites the falconer and killing follows killing.
Ex-jockey and private investigator Sid Halley is approached by the wife of an elite racehorse trainer, who begs his help in figuring out why her husband's most promising horses have been performing so poorly.
The Rheingold Routeby Maling, Arthur
One enemy spy knows the secret to the Allies' greatest deception, a brilliant aristocrat and ruthless assassin -- code name: "The Needle" -- who holds the key to ultimate Nazi victory.
Catch Me: Kill Meby Hallahan, William H.
I had been urban-renewed right out of my office and had to move. The previous tenant had been a fortune teller.
Forced into retirement by the CIA, Miles Kendig tried everything to satisfy his hunger for excitement. Finally he threatens to expose the espionage secrets of the major powers, setting himself up as the quarry of an international manhunt.
The IRA attempts to steal treasures from the Vatican but their plans go horribly wrong.
The Lingala Codeby Kiefer, Warren
Eight bus riders are killed and a ninth critically injured in an apparently motiveless crime. But the killer has managed to target one of Beck's best detectives -- and he, surely, would not have been riding that lethal bus without a reason.
Winner of the Edgar Allan Poe Mystery Prize for best crime story of 1969, this is another classic Dick Francis mystery set at the racetrack.
Intensely timely, this classic spellbinding thriller of medical scandal and murder combines breathtaking suspense with a penetrating examination of America's medical establishment.
As Fred Fitch careers across the New York City landscape - and sometimes skyline - in his meetings with cops, con men, beautiful girls, and (maybe) murderers, he takes on some of the loonier aspects of a Dante without a Virgil.
Edgar award-winning novel featuring Inspector Van der Valk. A handsome middle-aged millionaire has disappeared with a naked girl and it's up to Inspector Van der Valk to find them.
You are a secret agent working for the British in Berlin today. You are due to go home on leave, but you are being followed (by your own people or by an enemy - and which enemy?)
The central figure, Leamas, is on a mission to trap the top spy of East Berlin, set during the Cold War.
The Light of Day was the basis for Jules Dassin's classic film, Topkapi.When Arthur Abdel Simpson first spots Harper in the Athens airport, he recognizes him as a tourist unfamiliar with city and in need of a private driver.
A millionaire is murdered and Inspector Felse, after sifting through the few shreds of evidence, finally arrests Kitty Norris, his teenaged son Dominic's first love.
George Gideon, Commander of the C.I.D., is met at the office one morning with the news of a sex maniac, a mass murderer and a fire in an old tenement building out at Lambeth.
The Progress of a Crimeby Symons, Julian
The Hours Before Dawnby Fremlin, Celia
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.