- Table View
- List View
A story of human redemption, Falconer explores an ex-professor's experiences as an inmate in Falconer Prison. Ezekiel Farragut, convicted of killing his brother, has been imprisoned in the state prison where he is visited by his wife Marcia, with whom he has a love-hate relationship. Falconer tells the story of Farragut, his crime and punishment and his struggle to remain a man as he comes to terms with how his life has changed forever.
Moving through time from the rural South to the northern ghetto, an unsurpassed portrayal of human beings caught up in dramatic struggles while society confronts changes.
An anniversary edition of Margaret Mitchell's timeless classic.
Set in World War II, this complex novel is about a man THEY are determined to destroy.
Winner of the National Book Award for Fiction, Herzog is the story of Moses Herzog, great sufferer, joker and moaner, cuckold, charmer, a man of our time.
Considered to be the best fictional reconstruction of Rome ever written, this is an 'autobiography' of Claudius, who was despised as a weakling and considered an idiot. Historical fiction.
Infinite Jest is the name of a movie said to be so entertaining that anyone who watches it loses all desire to do anything but watch it. People die happily, viewing it in endless repetition.
Invisible Manis a milestone in American literature, a book that has continued to engage readers since its appearance in 1952.
"Read, read, read. Read everything--trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! You'll absorb it. Then write. If it is good, you'll find out.
A group of English school boys, marooned on a desert island, attempt to establish something they can call civilization.
3 stories that explore British class distinctions through the medium of love, by one of the most admired writers of his time
In his hilarious send-up of academic life, Kingsley Amis poked fun at a very British way of life, and gave post-war fiction a new and enduring figure to laugh about and laugh at.
Saleem Sinai was born at midnight, the midnight of India's independence, and finds himself mysteriously 'handcuffed to history' by the coincidence...
A biting, hilarious look at one man's relentless pursuit of pleasure in the fast lane, an audacious and frightening picture of Reagan's America and Thatcher's England.
Delirious, nonlinear ravings of a junkie in hell. Also includes excerpts from the Boston trial where it was declared not obscene in 1966.
Right from the start, Bigger Thomas had been headed for jail. It could have been for assault or petty larceny; by chance, it was for murder and rape.
Twenty years ago, it was as if someone turned on a light. The future blazed into existence with each deliberate word that William Gibson laid down. The winner of Hugo, Nebula, and Philip K.
From the Booker Prize-winning author of The Remains of the Day comes a devastating new novel of innocence, knowledge, and loss.
[BACK COVER] "BRILLIANT!"--Times In this classic novel of the 1960's Ken Kesey's hero is Randle Patrick McMurphy, a boisterous, brawling, fun-loving rebel who swaggers into the world of a mental hos
In Pale Fire Nabokov offers a cornucopia of deceptive pleasures: a 999-line poem by the reclusive genius John Shade; an adoring foreword and commentary by Shade's self-styled Boswell, Dr.
A profoundly disturbing novel, riveting in its exploration of a woman and a society in crisis and stunning in the still-startling intensity of its prose.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.