- Table View
- List View
One of the finest fantasy stories in the history of children's literature - and still a favorite among children and adults alike.
A chilling novel of family life, the relations between parents and children, husbands and wives - a classic of 20th century literature.
When things don't seem real anymore, Binx goes to the movies, an oasis of reality.
A child wanders from village to village in Eastern Europe during World War II, experiencing one horror after another.
A Mexican state has outlawed the Church and is killing off the priests. One priest escapes and is faced his sins and the choice between his vocation and safety.
This book probes with impeccable skill and consummate artistry the halcyon years of a fiercely independent and unorthodox school teacher and her relationship with 6 favorite pupils.
Wyatt Gwyon forges paintings of the Flemish masters, not from larceny but from love, in a world where the real and fake have become indistinguishable. Winner of the National Book Award.
The Sheltering Sky is a landmark of twentieth-century literature. In this intensely fascinating story, Paul Bowles examines the ways in which Americans' incomprehension of alien cultures leads to the ultimate destruction of those cultures.
In a style like that of Tom Jones, this celebrated long, comic novel relates the elaborate adventures of a naive young poet who travels to the colonies in 1694 to look after his father's estates.
"I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire. . . . I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it.
As a sportswriter, Frank Bascombe makes his living studying people--men, mostly--who live entirely within themselves. This is a condition that Frank himself aspires to.
The central figure, Leamas, is on a mission to trap the top spy of East Berlin, set during the Cold War.
The poignantly beautiful story of a group of American and English expatriates on a sojourn from Paris to Pamplona.
First published in 1937. A novel set in Florida in the 1920s or 1930s depicting and celebrating African American culture, strong women, and love
THINGS FALL APART tells two overlapping, intertwining stories, both of which center around Okonkwo, a "strong man" of an Ibo village in Nigeria.
Sweeping, lyrical, novel that moves brilliantly among the thoughts and feelings of the Ramsey family and their summer house guests.
An American expatriate, Henry Miller, describes his life in France where he has a knack for drinking and meeting women but is poor.
"From the stuff of space opera, Dick spins a deeply unsettling existential horror story, a nightmare you'll never be sure you've woken up from.
Jake, penniless flat-hunter, seeks out an old girlfriend and other friends, going on a series of adventures, hoping at long last to become a real writer.
This novel chronicles an entire lifetime in the course of a single day, a day which is the last in the life of British consul Geoffrey Firmin.
A brilliant story about death and the fear of death, written in a comic vein.
This is the story of 2 North London families, one headed by Archie, the other by Archie's best friend, a Muslim Bengali named Samad. Epic, intimate, hilarious and poignant.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.