- Table View
- List View
Millicent was born into a Southern world of privilege, money, homesteads, servants, family tradition, and pride. The halcyon days of her childhood left Millicent ill-prepared for the tragedy that would stalk her family and almost destroy it.
Most people would wallow in self pity and ask "Why me?" This courageous woman asked "Why not me?" Read her inspirational story.
My Path Leads to Tibet: The Inspiring Story of How One Young Blind Woman Brought Hope to the Blind Children of Tibetby Tenberken, Sabriye
How a blind woman from Germany started a school for blind children in Tibet.
The autobiography of the first legally blind athlete to compete in the Olympic Games
Imagine a blind person water-skiing, golfing, running a marathon, and even diving. Harry Cordello did not let his blindness limit his activity. Instead he asked himself "Why not"?
Explains a 10-step process to overcome either the employer's or employee's barriers such as criminal record, lack of education, immigration, etc.
No Ordinary Time is a monumental work, a brilliantly conceived chronicle of one of the most vibrant and revolutionary periods in the history of the United States.
A true story of an incredible woman who was not about to be held back by the challenges of becoming blind and deaf before she completed high school. Not only does Geraldine Lawhorn live a full life, but she also continues to help others.
Andrew Potok is an intense, vigorous, sensual man--and a gifted painter. Then, passing forty, he rapidly begins to go blind from an inherited eye disease, retinitis pigmentosa.
This book provides more than 275 job descriptions with information on each job's pay, growth, openings, education level, and skills needed.
This book teaches about three different areas of science: life science, physical science, and earth science. You will learn about living things, including plants and animals. You will study motion and forces, such as those that affect a thrown baseball and a roller coaster racing along on its track. You will come to better understand the features of the Earth, including its oceans and moon.
This story is set in Kansas during the 1930's as four "just a little ornery" boys grow up together. Since there is no TV to occupy their time, they learn how to amuse themselves.
A book about the period of personal adjustments that accompany the loss of vision.
At once an incredible adventure narrative and a penetrating biographical portrait,The River of Doubtis the true story of Theodore Roosevelt's harrowing exploration of one of the most dangerous rivers on earth.
This elegantly written book offers an unexpected and unprecidented accout of blindness and sight.
In this sequel to "Little by Little," Ms. Little continues sharing her life story.
The booktells the story of the author's life without sight,a memoir that recalls the activities that brought him international acclaim as a scientist, policymaker, and advocate.
Here is guidance for blind job seekers.
Instructions on how to perform various mathematical operations using the Cranmer abacus
The book that changed the consciousness of a country -- and the world.
A social, economic, political and cultural history of the post-World-War II period which impacted the decade of turbulence that followed.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.