The Light of Day was the basis for Jules Dassin's classic film, Topkapi.When Arthur Abdel Simpson first spots Harper in the Athens airport, he recognizes him as a tourist unfamiliar with city and in need of a private driver.
A Dram of Poisonby Armstrong, Charlotte
Newscaster Pam Barrett witnesses a peregrine falcon, on a signal by her falconer, swoop down from the sky and kill a young woman. Her TV account of it excites the falconer and killing follows killing.
Eight bus riders are killed and a ninth critically injured in an apparently motiveless crime. But the killer has managed to target one of Beck's best detectives -- and he, surely, would not have been riding that lethal bus without a reason.
A successful socialite's beautiful wife was raped and murdered in her own home -- and Matt Scudder believes the victim's "grieving" husband was responsible for the outrage. But to prove it, the haunted p.i.
A 12-year-old girl and her younger brother see a murder...and the murderers see and know who she is. No place is safe and no one is to be trusted.
Winner of the Edgar Award. Doc Adams becomes a self-styled investigator in this mystery, which leads him from a murder on Billingsgate Shoal to an arms-smuggling ring.
Dave Robicheaux was once a Louisiana homicide cop. Now he's trying to start a new life, opening up a fishing business and caring for his adopted girl, Alafair.
Journalis Irene Kelly joins a team of investigators who search for the bodies of a serial killer's victoms in the Sierra Nevada mountains.
The central figure, Leamas, is on a mission to trap the top spy of East Berlin, set during the Cold War.
A friend asks Philip Marlowe for help, making the detective an accessory in his wife's murder. When Marlowe receives word of the friend's death in Mexico, he looks into the murder and the family secrets surrounding it.
Edgar® Award Winner Novel. On a hillside, the dead body of a beautiful dime-a-dance girl is found. Police Lt. Wesley Horner narrows his sights on White, a man with no memory, who must record his life in detailed journal entries and scrapbooks.
The IRA attempts to steal treasures from the Vatican but their plans go horribly wrong.
As he draws up an aging client's will, lawyer Henry Griswald reflects on a series of events in 1926-1927 that shattered the peace of his boyhood community.
Intensely timely, this classic spellbinding thriller of medical scandal and murder combines breathtaking suspense with a penetrating examination of America's medical establishment.
An Edgar Award Winner (Best Mystery of the Year), a pile of human bones has been unearthed in the dank cellar of the ancient du Rocher estate on the isle of Mont St. Michel.
The Eighth Circleby Ellin, Stanley
One enemy spy knows the secret to the Allies' greatest deception, a brilliant aristocrat and ruthless assassin -- code name: "The Needle" -- who holds the key to ultimate Nazi victory.
Sid Halley, the ex-champion jockey turned investigator, faces new dangers, new deeply demanding decisions. Troubled, courageous and unwilling to admit defeat, for Sid Halley it is business as usual.
Ex-jockey and private investigator Sid Halley is approached by the wife of an elite racehorse trainer, who begs his help in figuring out why her husband's most promising horses have been performing so poorly.
Winner of the Edgar Allan Poe Mystery Prize for best crime story of 1969, this is another classic Dick Francis mystery set at the racetrack.
Edgar award-winning novel featuring Inspector Van der Valk. A handsome middle-aged millionaire has disappeared with a naked girl and it's up to Inspector Van der Valk to find them.
The Hours Before Dawnby Fremlin, Celia
Forced into retirement by the CIA, Miles Kendig tried everything to satisfy his hunger for excitement. Finally he threatens to expose the espionage secrets of the major powers, setting himself up as the quarry of an international manhunt.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.