As Fred Fitch careers across the New York City landscape - and sometimes skyline - in his meetings with cops, con men, beautiful girls, and (maybe) murderers, he takes on some of the loonier aspects of a Dante without a Virgil.
Edgar award-winning novel featuring Inspector Van der Valk. A handsome middle-aged millionaire has disappeared with a naked girl and it's up to Inspector Van der Valk to find them.
You are a secret agent working for the British in Berlin. You are due to go home on leave, but you are being followed--by your own people, or by the enemy. A man meets you in the theater and briefs you on a plot to revive the power of Nazi Germany. You do not believe him, but... The next day you make contact with a beautiful girl who may know something. And someone tries to kill both of you. Edgar Allen Poe Award Winner.
In the shadow of the newly erected Berlin Wall, Alec Leamas watches as his last agent is shot dead by East German sentries. For Leamas, the head of Berlin Station, the Cold War is over. As he faces the prospect of retirement or worse--a desk job--Control offers him a unique opportunity for revenge. Winner of the Edgar Allan Poe Award.
The Light of Day was the basis for Jules Dassin's classic film, Topkapi.When Arthur Abdel Simpson first spots Harper in the Athens airport, he recognizes him as a tourist unfamiliar with city and in need of a private driver.
When the woman he loves is accused of murder, Dominic Felse sets out to find the true culprit Is a vulgarity ground for murder? Alfred Armiger had antagonized many with his greed and crass acquisitiveness.
George Gideon, Commander of the C.I.D., is met at the office one morning with the news of a sex maniac, a mass murderer and a fire in an old tenement building out at Lambeth.
The Progress of a Crimeby Symons, Julian
Hugh Bennett, young reporter on a local paper, witnessed a terrible crime - a group of boys stabbed a man to death on Guy Fawkes' night, right in front of the fire on the village green.
Louise Henderson is trapped in a nightmare: the baby cries almost all night, every night, and the other children must be gotten off to school . . . Louise is so tired that she is afraid she is becoming psychotic; why does she have this feeling of apprehension, almost of terror? Is it connected with the lodger, a respectable school teacher? What is happening in the Henderson household? This novel, an Edgar winner, is also the basis for an episode of the Alfred Hitchcock Hour.
Investigating a crooked cop, a private detective gets too close to the case
Room to Swingby Lacy, Ed
If you're Toussaint Moore, a private investigator from New York City, and a Negro, framed in your own city for a white man's murder, you are going to find it tricky sledding in a small Ohio town, close to the Kentucky border.
A longtime bachelor finally marries--only to learn the corrosive power of jealousy
Hailed as one of the greatest psychological mysteries ever written and winner of the 1956 Mystery Writers of America Edgar Award for Best Novel, Beast in View remains as freshly sinister today as the day it was first published.
Marlowe befriends a down on his luck war veteran with the scars to prove it. Then he finds out that Terry Lennox has a very wealthy nymphomaniac wife, who he's divorced and re-married and who ends up dead.
Beat Not the Bonesby Jay, Charlotte
A young Australian woman comes alone to Marapai on the island of New Guinea to find out why her husband committed suicide.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.