A boy recounts his annual summer trips to rural Illinois with his sister during the Great Depression to visit their larger-than-life grandmother
The story of how Meg, Charles and Calvin travel through the universe to battle the powers of darkness. The Newbery Award winning classic.
Ten-year-old India Opal Buloni describes her first summer in the town of Naomi, Florida, and all the good things that happen to her because of her big ugly dog Winn-Dixie. Newbery Honor Book.
It was Leslie's idea to create Terabithia, their secret kingdom in the woods where Leslie and Jess reigned as King and Queen. There no enemy could defeat them.
E.B. White's classic story of the friendship between Wilbur the pig and Charlotte the spider.
Quirky poetry for children, includes scanner's descriptions of accompanying drawings.
Andrew would do anything to get himself covered in freckles--even buy a questionable freckle juice recipe from Sharon!
Pete describes the family vacation in Maine with the Tubmans, highlighted by the antics of his younger brother Fudge.
A biography of a Czech girl who died in the Holocaust, told in alternating chapters with an account of how the curator of a Japanese Holocaust center learned about her life after Hana's suitcase was sent to her.
After a plane crash, thirteen-year-old Brian spends fifty-four days in the Canadian wilderness, learning to survive initially with only the aid of a hatchet given him by his mother, and learning also to survive his parents' divorce.
Fritz's Newbery Honor-winning memoir of growing up during a turbulent time in China's history is "rich in the telling observations of sights, sounds and people."
A city of Whos on a speck of dust are threatened with destruction until the smallest Who of all helps convince Horton's friends that Whos really exist.
In this seventh book of the "Little House" series, The citizens of De Smet bring culture to the prairie, and Laura's courtship with Almanzo begins.
"An extremely well-written and informative book that tells about Braille's life and the development of his alphabet system for the blind. Freedman's gift for making his subjects both accessible and intriguing comes through wonderfully in this book.
Adventurous stories of a free-spirited girl named Pippi Longstocking.
A fictionalized account of an important episode from the book 'Black Boy' by Richard Wright, in which he gains access to a public library with the help of a co-worker.
Sarah, from the coast of Maine, answers an advertisement from a Midwestern farmer for a wife.
Marty will do anything to save his new friend Shiloh. When Marty Preston comes across a young beagle in the hills behind his home, it's love at first sight -- and also big trouble.
In 1841, rescued by an American whaler after being stranded on a deserted island with friends, 14-year-old Manjiro becomes the first Japanese person to visit the United States.
Sequel to Sarah, Plain and Tall. When a drought tests the commitment of a mail-order bride from Maine to her new home on the prairie, her stepchildren hope they will be able to remain a family.
A family living in the lake region of Florida in the early 1900's struggles for survival in a primitive environment, as they battle harsh conditions and hostile neighbors.
Reginald loves playing violin. Papa wants him to be the bat boy for a team in the Negro Leagues. Can Papa understand his son? Warm story of family affection for ages 4 to adult, pictures described.
Recounts the life of Balto, the sled dog who braved a snowstorm to deliver medicine to Nome, Alaska, during a 1925 diphtheria epidemic.
When he and his older brother Gordon are left camping alone, 12-year-old Doug faces his fear of heights with the help of a cougar.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.