- Table View
- List View
A unique and sweeping debut novel of an American female combat photographer in the Vietnam War, as she captures the wrenching chaos and finds herself torn between the love of two men.
Tim O'Brien's modern classic that reset our understanding of fiction, nonfiction, and the way they can work together, as well as our understanding of the Vietnam war and its consequences.
Provides background information on the Vietnam War and on the memorial that was built to honor those who died during this conflict.
A collection of short stories and poems about visits to the Vietnam memorial, and the memories it evokes.
World War I
"This impressive book offers a powerful set of insights into the lasting effects of the First World War and the different ways in which belligerent states came to terms with the war's consequences."
World War II
A Higher Call: An Incredible True Story of Combat and Chivalry in the War-torn Skies of World War IIby Makos, Adam and Alexander, Larry
Five days before Christmas 1943, a badly damaged American bomber struggled to fly over wartime Germany. At its controls was a twenty-one-year-old pilot. Half his crew lay wounded or dead. It was their first mission.
Lost in Shangri-La: A True Story of Survival, Adventure, and the Most Incredible Rescue Mission of World War IIby Zuckoff, Mitchell
On May 13, 1945, twenty-four American servicemen and WACs boarded a transport plane for a sightseeing trip over "Shangri-La," a beautiful and mysterious valley deep within the jungle-covered mountains of Dutch New Guinea.
An account of Germany's little known U-boat campaign against merchant shipping along the North American Atlantic coast during the first six months of 1942. It also documents the failure of the US Navy to meet the German attack.
Military Strategy & History
Twenty-three-year-old Bill Putney enlisted in the Marines in 1943 in search of military glory. Instead, Putney, a licensed veterinarian, was relegated to the Dog Corps.
When Marines enter an abandoned house in Fallujah, Iraq, and hear a noise, they clench their weapons, edge around the corner, and prepare to open fire. What they find is not an insurgent but a puppy left behind when most of the residents fled.
Ritland's prior "Trident K9 Warriors" gave readers an inside look at the training of military war dogs. Now he tells about Navy SEAL teams' elite K9 warriors--who they are, how they are trained, and the extreme missions they undertake to save lives.
The love of a dog or cat helps heal soldiers' emotional trauma. One very special woman and program brings them back together after the war. No Buddy Left Behind is an animal book with a difference.
Autobiography of a Vietnam soldier who joins the K-9 corps and is teamed with German Shepherd named King. [Note: There were numerous errors in the print edition which had to be left due to copyright laws.]
"In Iraq we put our lives in each other's hands (and paws) day after day. We took care of each other no matter what. Rex and I have a bond that will last for the rest of our born days.
A leading reporter offers a tour of military working dogs' extraordinary training, heroic accomplishments, and the lasting impacts they have on those who work with them.
Military working dogs gained widespread attention after Cairo participated in the SEAL Team 6 mission that led to Osama bin Laden's death.
Trident K9 Warriors: My Tale from the Training Ground to the Battlefield with Elite Navy Seal Caninesby Brozek, Gary and Ritland, Michael
As Seen on "60 Minutes" As a Navy SEAL during a combat deployment in Iraq, Mike Ritland saw a military working dog in action and instantly knew he'd found his true calling.
"We aren't just service dog and master; Tuesday and I are also best friends. Kindred souls. Brothers. Whatever you want to call it. We weren't made for each other, but we turned out to be exactly what the other needed.
History of the United States military working dog.
Military Equipment & Hardware
Stories and drawings of valiant war dogs. [Poorly edited, errors left in place due to copyright laws.]
Veterans Health, Body & Mind
This comprehensive training manual for mental health professionals presents almost all that is known about the assessment and treatment of PTSD.
Adjustment to Severe Physical Disability: A Metamorphosis, then, is designed for professionals-in-training, practicing professionals, and parents or families of disabled persons.
Guides readers through the healing process of recovering from PTSD. Helps survivors cope with memories and emotions, identify triggers, relieve secondary wounding, and gain a sense of empowerment and hope.
There's no real homecoming for many of our veterans returning from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. They may go through the motions of daily life in their hometowns, but the terrible sights and sounds of war are still fresh in their minds.
Invisible Wounds of War: Summary and Recommendations for Addressing Psychological and Cognitive Injuriesby Tanielian, Terri and Jaycox, Lisa H. and Marshall, Grant N. and Burnam, M. Audrey and Schell, Terry L.
A comprehensive study of the post-deployment health-related needs associated with post-traumatic stress disorder, major depression, and traumatic brain injury among veterans of Operations Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.