- Table View
- List View
Veterans Health, Body & Mind
Matthews, an attorney, provides a guide to understanding and preparing for long-term care for both those who need it and those setting up or paying for that care.
Many millions of people are affected by the trauma of war. Psychologists have a good understanding of how experiences of war impact on memory but the significance of external environmental influences is often disregarded.
Silence lies between forgetting and remembering. This book explores how different societies have constructed silences to enable men and women to survive and make sense of the catastrophic consequences of armed conflict.
The first book to explore the idea and effect of moral injury on veterans, their families, and their communities Although veterans make up only 7 percent of the U.S. population, they account for an alarming 20 percent of all suicides.
The Proven, Scientific Approach to Conquering PTSD and Defeating the Disorder.
The implications of traumatic events assault things once considered sacred and beyond reproach. Trauma brutally demonstrates that rational and logical consciousness cannot manage certain painful dimensions of life.
Trauma & Recovery represents...two decades of research and clinical work with victims of sexual and domestic violence...combat veterans...victims of political terror."
Durflinger (history, the University of Ottawa, Canada) chronicles advocacy by Canadian servicemen blinded in war, highlighting their efforts to help Canadian veterans and all blind citizens.
Biographies, Memoirs & Personal Experience
The never-before-told story of the U. S. women's military corps
A dramatic and moving tribute to the military's unsung heroes, American Patriots tells the story of the black servicemen and women who defended American ideals on the battlefield, even as they faced racism in the ranks and segregation on the home
"Simply the most powerful and moving book that has emerged on this topic." UNITED PRESS INTERNATIONAL. The national bestseller that tells the truth of about Vietnam from the black soldiers' perspective.
A comprehensive encyclopedia that describes the experiences of American veterans from the Revolutionary War to the present.
Before writing his award-winning Going After Cacciato, Tim O'Brien gave us this intensely personal account of his year as a foot soldier in Vietnam.
FROM POVERTY TO WEALTH, FROM The CONGO TO AMERICA, AND FROM CHILD SOLDIER TO U. S. MARINE Born into the Congolese wilderness, Tchicaya Missamou became a child soldier at age 11.
"My Four Worlds" is an autobiography of a blinded war veteran. Smart Eze, was born in Nigeria, began his eduacation, but was unable to attend college due to financial reasons. Then the Biafran-Nigerian civil war erupted, and he was a Biafran soldier. He became blind in a bomb explosion at age 23.
A collection of essays, poems, and stories of 82 veterans from five wars.
Heroism in battle has been celebrated throughout history, yet it is one of the least understood virtues. What makes some men and women perform extraordinary deeds on the battlefield? What makes them risk their lives in the pursuit of victory?
For the first time, the physical and emotional problems that returning Veterans of WWII, Vietnam, Korea, Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq are suffering are discussed openly and with heart-wrenching candor.
A text for use in courses in rehabilitation counseling, educational psychology, and special education, also useful for practicing counselors and educators.
Courage After Fire: Coping Strategies for Troops Returning from Iraq and Afghanistan and Their Familiesby Best, Suzanne and Domenici, Paula and Armstrong, Keith
The bravery displayed by our soldiers at war is commonly recognized. However, often forgotten is the courage required by veterans when they return home and suddenly face reintegration into their families, workplaces, and communities.
Today, we are no different than those warriors of the past. We can, however, be better trained and better equipped to meet the challenges of post-war adjustment. Just as we can be prepared to handle the demands of battle with state-of-the art training and equipment, we can also prepare to survive the aftermath. This is what "Down Range" is about.
Veterans, military personnel, and their dependents make up more than one third of America's population. This is a list of Scholarships, Fellowships/Grants, Loans, Grants-in-Aid, and Awards Designed Primarily or Exclusively for Veterans, Military Personnel, and Their Dependents, Plus a Set of Six Indexes.
Billions of dollars in financial aid have been set aside for America's largest minority: the more than 50 million Americans with disabilities and members of their families. In fact, more money is available today than ever before! This is a List of Scholarships, Fellowships/Grants, Loans, Forgivable Loans, Grants-in-Aid, and Awards Designed Primarily or Exclusively for Persons with Disabilities or Members of Their Families and a Set of Six Indexes.
With the recent wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, once again America's men and women who have seen war close-up are suddenly expected to return seamlessly to civilian life.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.