- Table View
- List View
Peske and West (authors, no university affiliation) offer guidance on books to read and books to avoid, especially at crises points in the lives of young women. Grouped by category, their recommendations cover "Bad Girl" books, "Bad Boy" books, coming-of-age stories, sex books, business books, and political books, as well as books suited for dealing with your mother, surviving an existential crisis, weathering a midlife crisis, recovering from a bout of loneliness, and finding a purpose to life. Unfortunately, the treatment of the books in question is uniformly shallow. Annotation c. Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
In the early 80s, when Polly was a seventeen-year-old ideological peace protestor and Jack was a U. S. Army captain stationed at England's Greenham Common, the two had a secret and very unlikely affair. No two people could have had more to argue about, save that they couldn't live without each other, yet one day Jack came to the conclusion that he loved soldiering more than Polly and sacrificed their love to be a career army man. Now, sixteen years later, Polly is a lonely thirty-something social services employee and Jack is a four-star general who has returned to Britain to find her, his only true love. With only one night to resolve their differences, and a knife-wielding stalker lurking in the shadows, for everyone concerned this will be a night like no other.
A memoir by the famous British singer Sting. He writes: "Having been a songwriter most of my life, condensing my ideas and emotions into short rhyming couplets and setting them to music, I had never really considered writing a book. But upon arriving at the reflective age of 50, I found myself drawn, for the first time, to write long passages. It is a book about the early part of my life, from childhood through adolescence, right up to the my success with the Police. It is a story few people know. I had no interest in writing a traditional autobiographical recitation of everything that's ever happened to me. Instead I found myself drawn to exploring specific moments, certain people and relationships, and particular events which still resonate powerfully for me. "
The international bestseller that inspired the movie Maybe Baby. Birds do it. Bees do it. Why can't Sam and Lucy? When Lucy first suggested they make a baby, Sam was gung ho --after all, sleeping with his wife is one of Sam's favorite things to do. Then out came the thermometers, followed by the holistic home remedies -- not to mention some humiliating bouts with specimen jars. Soon Lucy's demands are driving Sam out of his mind. That is, until Sam conceives a plan of his own: He'll write a screenplay based on his and Lucy's poignant (and often uproarious) efforts to conceive a child. It could be a big hit. It might even make Sam's career. Or cost him his marriage . . . From the award-winning author of Popcorn and Blast from the Past comes this hilarious and heartbreaking new novel --a provocative two-sided look at one couple's inconceivable dilemma. From sperm that swim backward to aromatherapy run amok, procreation for Lucy and Sam has turned into a grisly little war. But if Lucy feels barren as the Sahara, and Sam thinks his gay friends will be fathers before he is, they're about to have yet another problem on their hands: saving the love that once was everything they had. . . .
What will your child be expected to learn in the first grade? How can you help him or her at home? How can teachers foster active, successful learning in the classroom? This book answers these all-important questions and more, offering the specific shared knowledge that hundreds of parents and teachers across the nation have agreed upon for American first graders. Revised and updated, filled with a wealth of opportunities for reading aloud and fostering discussion, this first-grade volume of the acclaimed Core Knowledge Series presents the sort of knowledge and skills that should be at the core of a challenging first-grade education. Discover: Favorite Poems, old and new, such as "The Owl and the Pussycat," "Wynken, Blynken, and Nod," and "Thirty Days Hath September" Beloved Stories from many times and lands, including a selection of Aesop's Fables, "Hansel and Gretel," "All Stories Are Anansi's," "The Tale of Peter Rabbit," and much more Familiar Sayings and Phrases such as "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" and "Practice makes perfect" World and American History and Geography--take a trip down the Nile with King Tut, and learn about the early days of our country, including the story of Jamestown, the Pilgrims, and the American Revolution Visual Arts--fun activities plus full-color reproductions of masterworks by Leonardo da Vinci, Vincent van Gogh, Paul Cezanne, Georgia O'Keefe, and others Music--engaging introductions to great composers and music, including classical music, opera, and jazz, as well as a selection of favorite children's songs Math--a variety of activities to help your child learn to count, add and subtract, solve problems, recognize geometrical shapes and patterns, and learn about telling time Science--interesting discussions of living things and their habitats, the human body, the states of matter, how we measure things, how electricity works, our solar system, and what's inside the earth, plus stories of famous scientists such as Thomas Edison and Rachel Carson
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.