Now from one of the world's leading publishers of military history comes a breakthrough book on one of the most important and complex aspects of U.S. national defense. U.S. Leadership in Wartime: Clashes, Controversy, and Compromise offers a comprehensive analysis of the characteristics that constitute effective leadership in war and discusses the often contentious relationships between U.S. civilian and military leadership throughout American history.
President Harry S. Truman's 1951 firing of Douglas MacArthur ended the nation's most famous showdown between a commander in chief and a high-profile officer--but it was far from the only time a chief executive and a general clashed.
An excellent resource for students, legislators, victims' advocacy groups, and journalists, defining and discussing issues of victims' rights in the US, current policies, crime-related legislation, and key Supreme Court cases. Offers a detailed chronology, biographical sketches of those involved in upholding and extending victims' rights, descriptions and contacts for organizations serving the interests of victims, and an annotated bibliography of print and nonprint sources. Annotation c. by Book News, Inc., Portland, Or.
This collection of essays by highly respected social historians looks at the Vietnam War era through the eyes of the ordinary citizens caught up in those tumultuous times.
Alphabetically from Absh Khatun, 13th century Queen of Persia, to Dr. Sibongile Zungu, chief in 1993 of the South African Madlebe Tribe, independent scholar Jackson updates her book Women Who Ruled by adding those who have served in the last decade. The volume includes entries running from a paragraph to three pages a useful geographical chronology by century and b&w representations of rulers from Carthage's legendary founder Dido to Jenny Shipley, New Zealand's Prime Minister since 1997. Includes some powers behind the throne like Diane de Poitiers but not Marie Antoinette or Eva Peron.
This reference provides students, researchers, human resource professionals, and activists with a balanced and detailed overview of the field of work-family. It reviews research in the field, chronicles work-family issues since 1800, and provides biographies of researchers currently active in the field. Important legislation and cases are reviewed, with particular emphasis on employment laws affecting women, and statistics are provided on work-family trends nationally and internationally. The reference includes descriptions and contact information for public and private organizations, annotated bibliographies of print, video, and Internet resources, and a glossary. The author teachers sociology and women's studies at Brandeis University.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.