- Table View
- List View
Alison is thirteen. Her mother has recently died; her Dad has just bought a house in the North 300 miles away from the world she knows. Brimming with resentment, she is determined to dislike the rambling old Coal House, home of the pit owner's family in Victorian times. But in the overgrown garden she meets a new friend, Tommy, cheerfully trespassing. With his help, she begins to gather some clues about the house's past owners and the tragedy in their lives. But who is the lonely figure that lurks in the shadows, looking longingly up at the house? Winner of the 1987 Whitbread Award
Peregrine crossed the lane and entered the portico of his theatre. He looked at the framed notice: Dolphin Theatre Reopening Shortly Under New Management. It hung immediately under the tatter of a Victorian playbill that he had seen on his first remarkable visit.
Miss Bianca, possibly the most daring and accomplished heroine in mouse history, in this latest adventure falls into the greatest peril of even her career. While on an errand of mercy to the Antarctic with her loyal companion Bernard, she is stranded midst desolate wastes untrodden by the foot of man, with not a hope of rescue. Even Miss Bianca is daunted by this, but she soon embarks on a whirl of activity, converting the collected works of Shakespeare into a shelter against the icy blast, attending a ball with a group of friendly penguins, and pitting her wits against those of the tyrannical Emperor Penguin. You will not be surprised to hear, though, that the ever resourceful Miss Bianca at last finds her way home again--by a most unexpected means.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.