From the Book jacket: Raising small animals can be, as everyone knows, a very absorbing hobby But few people know that it can also be profitable, either as a supplementary source of income or as a full- time business. And even fewer people know how to get started. In fact, almost anyone can raise and market small animals easily and with very little investment. A spare bedroom, an attic or basement, a screened-in sun porch, or a small outbuilding is an excellent location for the establishment of a "farm." Even an apartment dweller can have a small- animal business: in a few square feet you can raise many species of microscopic animals such as amoebas and hydras and sell them to laboratories and schools. With only a little more space, you can raise insects and worms for sale to pet stores as food for other animals, and other insects for sale to laboratories. You can start a tropical-fish business, in as large or small a space as you wish. You can raise mice, rats, hamsters, gerbils, and other small mammals in very little space. If you are lucky enough to have space in the country, you can raise show poultry and game birds or start a full-scale mink farm. But you have to know where to start, and how to determine what sort of business will suit the money and time you want to invest. That is why Raising Small Animals for Fun and Profit is an ideal introduction to this pleasant and practical occupation. From protozoa to mink, the book explains where to get breeding stock, how to raise and propagate the animals, where the market is. If you raise small animals, reading this book is important and throughout your venture, its suggestions and advice will save you much trouble. About the Author: Paul Villiard is a professional writer and photographer. He has written many other books about animals, including Reptiles as Pets, Exotic Fish as Pets, and Moths and How to Rear Them, and on other subjects, from nature photography to cabinetmaking. He also has from time to time been in the business of raising small animals; much of the information in Raising Small Animals for Fun and Profit comes directly from his own experience. Mr. Villiard and his family live in Saugerties, New York.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.