- Table View
- List View
This is a book written by spinal cord injured women who want to share their experiences with newly injured women and their friends and relatives, and to impress our concerns upon the general public and professionals. It is part of a growing movement to bring disability issues which previously have been kept private - behind the closed doors of individual lives - out into the open. We hope there will be many more books like this one to follow.
Drawing on her own and other experiences of disability, Jenny Morris, editor of Able Lives, confronts the nature of the prejudice against disabled people. Pride Against Prejudice challenges the reality of being different, covering current and historical debates on the quality of disabled people's lives; the way disability is represented within Western culture; institutionalisation and independence; feminist research and 'community care'; and the politics of the disability movement. For too long, non-disabled people have defined the experience of disability and had control over disabled people's lives. Pride Against Prejudice has grown out of the increasing collective organisation of disabled people and is part of an emerging disability culture. Jenny Morris argues her case with energy, authority and conviction.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.